upload_2016-12-18_11-43-51.png

upload_2016-12-18_11-43-12.png

upload_2016-12-18_11-45-0.png

The markings on the relay are:

80B43249S01
611-1217HQ
CDE 24VDC
MEXICO

Using a digital caliper, the outside measurements of the relay (not including the pins) are:

W: 30.64 mm
D: 18.90 mm
H: 29.39 mm

The relay has five pins on the bottom, only four of which were soldered. In the image above showing the pins, it's the upper-right pin that wasn't soldered.

This relay and a second identical relay are from a Whirlpool oven / microwave combo unit, built around 1986. One of these relays was used to activate the fan while the microwave was running and the other was used to activate the magnetron. Both relays are now sticking (one in the "on" position and the other in the "off" position) and need to be replaced.

Any information or resources for finding a suitable replacement part would be appreciated!

@Minder: Thanks for the links. Yes, that relay looks similar, but I can't find any specifications either for it or for the relays I want to replace. Do you (or anyone else) know of a good site for getting specs on relays, both current and out of production?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Digikey typically has a link to the data sheet. Is it absent on these pages?

@(*steve*):

The links provided by @Minder were not Digikey links. Those links are to TEDSS, a discount component site that doesn't list any specifications or links to datasheets.

There are no CDE relays listed on Digikey and I haven't yet found any relays on Digikey with the same pinout as the relay I'm replacing. There are thousands of relays at Digikey, but there's no way I've found to browse them by pinout or even images of the pinout. The only way to check pinout is to down each individual datasheet, which is impractical for thousands of relays.

Based on what I've seen so far, it seems like each manufacturer has its own pinout patterns. Is there someone here more experienced with relays who knows whether that's actually the case?

I think the reason you are have a problem finding an original is that Cornell Dubilier was never big into relays, more Capacitors etc.
Also the relay Div. was taken over by CII in 1998, so who knows what the availability is now.
As a last resort I have occasionally modified the mounting holes and mounted one with a close footprint, just takes a little ingenuity.
M.

@Minder:

My son's scout leader found this one on eBay (although these photos are from another source):

upload_2016-12-21_13-18-47.png

upload_2016-12-21_13-19-10.png

I seems like a good match, in dimensions, pin-out, pin shapes and best-guess specifications, so I ordered a few.

I'll post an update after I receive them and try them out.

I just realized I never posted the promised update!

This replacement relay worked great and I fixed my microwave.

However, after three years, it just broke again this week -- possibly with a blown fuse. I will dig in this weekend. :)

Polarity of DC relay coil doesn't matter unless there is a diode across the coil for suppression(BEMF).

Harald Kapp

This kind of relay typically does not have an internal protection diode. Otherwise there'd be explicit markings on the case to designate plus and minus. It can therefore be operated from either polarity.

Although there are a series of relays made by Omron that have a BEMF diode and also a LED indicator, the coil polarity is marked.
M.

I just realized I never posted the promised update!

This replacement relay worked great and I fixed my microwave.

However, after three years, it just broke again this week -- possibly with a blown fuse. I will dig in this weekend. :)

========================================

Found your chain of messages and luckily I encountered exactly the same problems with the Whirlpool Microwave Oven. I am just curious how you fixed your with the relays you mentioned. Where did you get the pin out specs? Did you soldered the relays back to the board in which direction? Appreciated your hints and directions.

Generally relays come marked with their respective part No. and a WEB search usually brings up Manuf specs.
As a last resort, a little reverse-engineering of the board shows the pin out, there is usually a diode on the board across the coil terminals.

========================================

Found your chain of messages and luckily I encountered exactly the same problems with the Whirlpool Microwave Oven. I am just curious how you fixed your with the relays you mentioned. Where did you get the pin out specs? Did you soldered the relays back to the board in which direction? Appreciated your hints and directions.

I removed the bad relay from the microwave oven and took photos of the pins. The relay was marked with its voltage and current specs, but the part number didn't turn up in any web searches. I searched through hundreds of relays online and asked friends to help me search as well. Once I found a match, it was pretty obvious because the pins are in a unique configuration. There was no way to place the part incorrectly because the pins are spaced and rotated in such a way that they'd only fit one way.

I removed the bad relay from the microwave oven and took photos of the pins. The relay was marked with its voltage and current specs, but the part number didn't turn up in any web searches. I searched through hundreds of relays online and asked friends to help me search as well. Once I found a match, it was pretty obvious because the pins are in a unique configuration. There was no way to place the part incorrectly because the pins are spaced and rotated in such a way that they'd only fit one way.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I got the PCB out and looked the pin positions. Like you said there is no way to mess the pin positions. Again as you mentioned, there is no info online about the specs of the relay because it's a product discontinued many many years ago. Most of the currently available relays don't have the same pin out positions. I ordered that relay in the photos you posted which is also discontinued years ago without any online info about the specs now. Fingers crossed and really appreciate your info here.

Generally relays come marked with their respective part No. and a WEB search usually brings up Manuf specs.
As a last resort, a little reverse-engineering of the board shows the pin out, there is usually a diode on the board across the coil terminals.

Thanks for your comments. Both the original relay and the replacement relay posted here don't have specs online. The pin out probably could be reasoning out without much troubles but the exact specs still are mysteries. :(

By the way, have you repaired your Microwave Oven the second time?