Maker Pro
Maker Pro

capacitor replacement help

Hello all,

I want to upgrade the crossover in my speakers but one of the Electrolytics that i want to replace is quite a heafty 80uf and id like to replace it with something "better" (Poly, copper foil etc etc)

But i don't see many options for decent poly caps at good prices and basically NONE that i can afford or would even want to afford! for copper foil in this value (some are thousands of pounds for a single resistor and im not that spendy :p)

If i use 2x40uF in parralel will that equal exactly 80uF (± tollorance) or is there some additional loss/gain by running parallel.

Is there anything im not considering (other than those that will say its a waste of time upgrading capacitors/resistors/inductors as they dont sound different - id like to determine that for myself.)

Look up the word 'audiophoolery'

id rather just do it and see for myself.

deminishing returns is a real thing yes. i understand. But will my new crossover sound better than the old?

It will probably sound different? will i like that difference more? yes = better! no = not better.

Ill see, but yeah im not spending tons so... lets give it a go!

Interesting nonetheless

on a related topic is there a way to measure a inductors indictance value accurate or calculate its inductance without any "special equipment" (scope). iv heard you can use wire diamiter and windings length of wire etc to estimate/calculate. is that true?

Can it be measured using a multimeter ?

There are some very cheap and relatively accurate devices for measuring components - a few quid from your local Chinese Emporium (i.e. eBay) but if you are adventurous you could try to determine it using the core size (width, height, layers, wire diameter) assuming it's air-cored. Such formulae are available online such as:

https://www.circuits.dk/calculator_multi_layer_aircore.htm

Note - SOME multimeters have this function - but they aren't cheap multimeters!

There are some very cheap and relatively accurate devices for measuring components - a few quid from your local Chinese Emporium (i.e. eBay) but if you are adventurous you could try to determine it using the core size (width, height, layers, wire diameter) assuming it's air-cored. Such formulae are available online such as:

https://www.circuits.dk/calculator_multi_layer_aircore.htm

Note - SOME multimeters have this function - but they aren't cheap multimeters!

Its 3 ferrite core inductors that i want to replace with air-core or copper foil inductors... probaly air core a CF are a lot
Is there a place i can take it to be measured? send it to someone here or a youtuber or something lol

Last edited:
OK so i had a brainwave. :cool:

Ill buy that cheap LCR meter AND a cheap inductor of KNOWN value from a reputable source (hificollective)
Then measure the known one and find the value given, compare it to the known value (±tollorance)

I believe some of these cheapo iron core inductors are as much as ±20% tollorance.
The LCR meter claims ±2% accuracy.

Does that sound like a legit thing to do?
Think of anything im overlooking?

Thanks all

Think of anything im overlooking?
Yeah, buying from a reputable source would be RS Components, Digikey, Farnell etc not hificollective!. No wonder you pay through the nose:).
Apparently, an audio grade inductor should be a solid core construction to avoid microphony. Then they say air core is audio grade.
I wonder if hificollective sell skirting board ladders?
Just my 2 cents!.

Martin

im skeptical too about crossovers.
something something ESR, magnetic losses, saturation, "core hysteresis" etc etc

Lets see what it sounds like. to me.

most people who build "high-end" speakers agree the size and cost of solid core inductors is their benefit.

I plan on A-B testing them by building both crossovers but initially only installing one speaker. see what i can hear/measure with my UMIK/REW

I have looked at those sites but they dont sell the components from the brands i want. HiFi collective order directly from the manufacturer and iv looked into the website and it seems legit to my eyes and ears.

as for the rest the procedure i specified would be acceptable?

Or would you suggest leaving the inductors as they are and just replacing the caps and resistors for "better" parts.

Last edited:
Sure, go ahead and buy the cheap LCR meter.
I would go further and buy several different inductors and try them all with exactly the same set up. My Ohm (UK) monitors were expensive back in the day and sound great with my Denon amp. My Mission speakers sound much better through my old Marantz amp. My Peavey’s sound fantastic through my QSC amps. But my favourites are my A&R speakers. Crisp and punchy with my Soundshaper EQ.
Horses for courses I suppose.

Martin

i have just brought my Mission LX-6 MK2 and really enjoying them. Very nice paper cones and solid cabinet. much much less fatiguing to listen for 10 hours than my old monitor audio bronze with all metal drivers and tweeter...

I also use DSP so i intend on setting the in-room frequency response as close as i can with the new and old crossovers so thats another factor out of the way.

i can tell thought that the crossover isnt bad components and im not unhappy with the sound.

I just want too. i just want too... :p
see for myself

so looking at caps, some are marked μF and others with 3 numbers and a letter.

Ive found a website that allows converstion between them so i just want to check this is accurate/correct.

685J = 6.8μF 5% Tollorance
106F = 10μF 1% Tollorance
226J = 22μF 5% tollorance

etc.
correct?