Maker Pro

Project Logs

Which type of Project Log method would you prefer?

• 1 - Existing system, with notice providing link to discussion area

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - Existing system, with replies allowed and unlimited edit time to first post

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 3 - New category created in Resources area

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - New Project Log area created, featuring gallery and custom tabs for each project.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ian

Administrator
I've found a bug in the gallery part, so I'm pausing conversion until I can get this fixed :(. Hopefully won't take long!

Ian

Administrator
It looks like getting the gallery working properly with the project log section is more difficult than I thought :(

It may be that we have to use the resource manager after all, then work on custom coding the improvements over to that.

How would people feel if the project log section was a sub-section of the resource manager? I'd still maintain the menu item at the top, but it would just link to a sub-section of the resource manager with additional customisations.

I'm persisting with getting the separate section working, but it looks like it's not possible to have a gallery AND be able to insert images in to a project log (at least not without it being too complicated every time a project is added). We can have one or the other it seems :(.

I think sort of a combination of 1 and 2, so there can be replies but they would be a separate area.

If possible make it so that by default no replies are shown so you have the flow of the project, and have it so that you can reply to each step of the project individually.

So lets say I have Step one box with all the info, pictures, etc, then people can reply within that box, I add another box which is Step two, again people can reply right in that box, etc.
But make it so that if Im looking at the post all I see is Step one with the information, Step two with the information, etc, then have a link with the number of replies listed having it open up a listing of the replies in that box.

Not sure if its possible but I feel like that would be great.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
I'm persisting with getting the separate section working, but it looks like it's not possible to have a gallery AND be able to insert images in to a project log (at least not without it being too complicated every time a project is added). We can have one or the other it seems :(.

I've made some progress with the coding, so maybe it is possible after all :). My brain is boggled after trying to figure this one out, so will continue trying again tomorrow!

Hey Ian!

I have just noticed that I can't edit the project logs that you have moved that where mine. From a quick search it appears that the forum thinks that you're the one who posted all the project logs you moved. Maybe there's a way to switch back the rights for the project logs to the original poster?

Thanks Ian! :) I really appreciate all the work you going to to make the new section! :)
Dan

Ian

Administrator
Hi Dan, that's strange - the permissions are set to allow editing and I've re-assigned them to be attached to each user. I'll run a re-build of the showcase cache and see if that does it - could you give it another go and see if it works now please?

No - it still won't let me edit the project log. See this:
SCREENSHOT2.png
It will let me edit the discussion part of it though:
SCREENSHOT3.png
Thanks again Ian! :)
Dan

Ian

Administrator
Do you have a "Showcase Tools" menu on the right column of the page? There should be an edit button in there hopefully :).

Yes there is a "Showcase tools" menu, but it does not have a edit button in it:
SCREENSHOT5.png
It has a "Set cover image" option in it though. But when I click it, I get this:
SCREENSHOT4.png
Dan

Ian

Administrator
Phew! They're all converted now :).

Everything should now be up and running - so if you'd like to create a new project just visit the forum section or click the link from the menu at the top. I'll see if I can get the projects featured on the sidebar somehow too :).

Ian

Administrator
A big thanks to @hevans1944 for letting me know about a problem with replying to project logs - some of the old code was left over from before. It should be working properly now :).

Ian, do you think you could make it so it is posable to upload zip files on project logs? I was going to upload some but the forum wouldn't let me.
Thanks very much Ian!! :)
Dan

P.S. Just so you know, the forum also didn't automatically watch the project log discussion part for me when I created a project log. :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Ian, do you think you could make it so it is posable to upload zip files on project logs? I was going to upload some but the forum wouldn't let me.
Thanks very much Ian!! :)
Dan

P.S. Just so you know, the forum also didn't automatically watch the project log discussion part for me when I created a project log. :confused:

I'll see if there's a way to auto-watch the discussion thread :).

I don't think it's possible to upload zips to the project logs (yet!), however if you create a post in the discussion thread and attach it there, you can link to it from within the showcase. Not ideal, but a workaround for now :).