Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Marks dog door

So far so good I'm up to the timer which I'm confused as to where to connect plus minus etc on the timer itself there are a few options ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 61
I think pos power goes to power gnd to negative on battery I'm not sure of the common on green relay and also the coil on the timer I'm not sure of

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 78
I've been reading up on the time c pins on the 555 timer and it says to put on the short circuit cap supplied - do you just push it on or do I need to run a wire from it to somewhere ?

I've missed some of your posts, sorry!

I think pos power goes to power gnd to negative on battery I'm not sure of the common on green relay and also the coil on the timer I'm not sure of
The diagram I posted earlier shows a + and - indicator on the 'coil' of one of the relays.
This is your timer relay.. Just make sure the gnd is on the negative battery terminal.
The pos, will be connected to the buttons shown in the diagram.

Take a look at the little diagram on the green connector on your timer relay.
There are 3 pcs. The top and bottom pin go to a line with a 90 degree bend in it to a circle.
The middle pin goes to a 'bent' line that is angled.
This middle pin is the 'common' contact. The icon indicates that it's normally connected to the top pin. When the relay triggers, the middle pin will disconnect from the top and connect to the bottom. This is the behaviour we are taking advantage of to forward/reverse the actuator. (But we needed the other relays to reverse the current... because a single switch won't do it.)

Please keep in mind that the diagram I posted is operating on the assumption that the relay *immediately triggers* once power is received... then after the delay , turns back off.
This relay could also remain off for the duration of the timer before turning 'on' .
I don't recall reading the type of operation, nor have you stated if you have tested it.
We can adjust the circuit easily afterward if this is the case, but I still suggest testing first ;)

I've missed some of your posts, sorry!

The diagram I posted earlier shows a + and - indicator on the 'coil' of one of the relays.
This is your timer relay.. Just make sure the gnd is on the negative battery terminal.
The pos, will be connected to the buttons shown in the diagram.

Take a look at the little diagram on the green connector on your timer relay.
There are 3 pcs. The top and bottom pin go to a line with a 90 degree bend in it to a circle.
The middle pin goes to a 'bent' line that is angled.
This middle pin is the 'common' contact. The icon indicates that it's normally connected to the top pin. When the relay triggers, the middle pin will disconnect from the top and connect to the bottom. This is the behaviour we are taking advantage of to forward/reverse the actuator. (But we needed the other relays to reverse the current... because a single switch won't do it.)

Please keep in mind that the diagram I posted is operating on the assumption that the relay *immediately triggers* once power is received... then after the delay , turns back off.
This relay could also remain off for the duration of the timer before turning 'on' .
I don't recall reading the type of operation, nor have you stated if you have tested it.
We can adjust the circuit easily afterward if this is the case, but I still suggest testing first ;)
Ok I'll test it and get back to you thanks nate

I'm not sure what to do on the 555 where it says timer they have given me what they call short circuit caps I don't know if I place them on or wire it to somewhere
There is a 'jumper' which is two bare exposed pins. I believe that is what you are referring to.
The timer you have can operate in a short or long duration, and connecting those pins together will let you toggle this behaviour. Usually this is done with a little 'cap' that fits over the two pins to electrically join them. The cap can later be removed to un-join them. This is no different than a small switch really...

Im feeling but bad about taking up your time - would you consider making up the circuit and posting to me if I put some money to cover everything in your bank account

Im feeling but bad about taking up your time - would you consider making up the circuit and posting to me if I put some money to cover everything in your bank account
Don't bother. It would have to fly from Western Canada to Australia.
You already have all the parts.
If you want, you could lay out all of your components with the leads/pins showing and take a picture. I'll draw on the picture how to connect them together. I'm sure I could draw something up with pictures you have shared thus far anyway.
I still very much want to test the timer relay by itself so I can be 100% sure of it's operation. (Delay-on, or Delay-off)

That sound fair to you?

*If I didn't want to help, or thought you were taking up too much time, I would simply walk away from the subject. Don't worry about it. Let's get this up and running for you.

Here are some pictures plus I'm not sure how to test the timer by itself

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 74
Here are some pictures plus I'm not sure how to test the timer by itself
First thing I want to do is have that timer tested.

The Vcc and GND on the timer+relay would be treated like the 'coil'.
If you connect +12v to the Vcc, and the negative terminal to the GND, you should hear the timer+relay 'click' almost immediately. (This is what I am expecting.) Then shortly after the relay will click once more. The relay will no longer click regardless of how long you wait after this.

I'll use some of the original pictures you shared to make a diagram for you. Looks like you've been quite busy putting things together already ;)
If you have a multi-meter, I may also get you to set it to measure resistance so we can ensure all of your connections thus far are secure.

MarksDogDoor.png
So.. I've used some other images.

Notes/Step-by-Step:
Power is connected to pin 2 on each regular relay.
Power is connected to Timer/Relay 'common' output terminal.
Power is connected to a 'Normally Open' push-button.
Other side of Normally Open push-button is connected to Timer/Relay 'Vcc'.
Battery negative is connected to Timer/Relay 'GND'.
Battery negative is connected to pin 1 *and* pin 4 on each regular relay.
Timer/Relay Vcc will also connect to a 'Normally Closed' push-button.
Other side of Normally Closed push-button is connected to Timer/Relay 'N/O' output terminal.
Timer/Relay 'N/O' output terminal is also connected to pin 8 on only one of the regular relays.
Timer/Relay 'N/C' output terminal is connected to pin 8 on the other regular relay.
Remaining pin on each regular relay goes to the actuator. (you can swap these wires to make the actuator move in the desired direction)

When 'Normally Open' button is pressed, power will be supplied to the Timer/Relay. The Timer/Relay will 'click' and provide itself with power through the 'yellow' wire. The button can now be released. The Timer/Relay will also provide power to one of the regular relays which will reverse the power to the actuator causing it to move.
When the Timer expires, the Timer/Relay will unlatch and will remove power to itself & the regular relay. Power will then flow into the other regular relay through the blue wire and provide power to the actuator in the 'normal' direction.
The 'Normally Closed' button is an 'over-ride' ... if you want to cancel opening the door, or need to close it before the timer expires, this button will forcibly turn the timer off and cause the door to begin closing.
** There are simpler methods to do this, but this particular method is built so that at any point in the future you can add-on or alter the circuit incredibly easily. Additional 'safety' sensors or switches can be easily connected at a later date if you feel they should be used.

How does this look to you? If you need any clarification, please let me know.