Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor Strategy

Greetings,

I've been reading everything I can about decoupling, noise reduction etc. There were a few things I wasnt aware of like just how much a small distance from an IC can reduce the effectiveness of a bypass cap. When it got to combinations and different materials affecting the frequency response thats when the smoke started coming out of my ears.

So, I'd be grateful for any advice on what would at least be a solid strategy to use. I'm designing a Z80 based platform for experimental interfacing with a variety of different things so power requirements are expected to vary wildly. It will be clocked from a 3.6MHz crystal. So far, I've been working on a simple ROM programmer to give it its initial set of instructions (this will include interface code for an SD card which will become the primary software source). I've mentioned a bit about the ROM programmer in circuit help.

One thing to note is that the thing will be lit up like a christmas tree. It's for very low level experiments so everything including the address and data busses etc. will be displayed.

Question: If using capacitors a decade apart flattens the frequency response, how far should I go with this? If I put 100nF's across each IC, some 1uF's nearby, a few 10uF's and maybe a 100uF or 2 in the vicinity, would that be good? Similarly with the power, if I use a 4700uF at the supply, and a 470 plus a few decade steps down on the regulator, is that good?

Oh and I should also mention it will be build on strip board. That limits component positions a bit and I also read something about holes acting as low pass filters.

Well, for a Raven Luni, you are basically on the right track.

The thing to remember is this......if you want to drive a bunch of LED's bear in mind that they are going to use more current than most of the IC's......it adds up quick.

The most important thing to do is, route all those grounds for the LED's right back to your powers source.......don't make the IC's share the same ground return path as the LED's, because that will negate the bypass caps.:D

As for the Z80......I didn't think they even made those anymore.....But I understand you live in a backwards country in the UK!

(Just kidding...but I had to do it.....every time I go to the UK they Razz me too.):D:D

Ah - thanks :) The ground issue might explain why the bread board prototype has been giving me a hard time.

And yes they still make Z80s. If I had my way we would all still be living in the 1980s :D

I remember my fist Z-80......It built it all wirewrapped....

I was so careful, checked everything.

I plugged in the chip....and nothing worked. I spent hours with my scope, and none of the signals made sense.

After four hours I realized I plugged the chip in backwards!

Couldn't believe when I reversed it that it actually worked.