Maker Pro
Maker Pro

capacitor allow dc or ac

i have read some pages .there i seen that some say that capacitor allow dc and block ac and some say blocks dc and allow ac.which one is right which is really series problem to me.pull me out of this.thank you in advance

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
It depends how it is used in a circuit.

However the capacitor itself blocks DC and passes AC (to put it *VERY* simply.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
LOL :)

It depends on your point of view. "A capacitor passes AC and blocks DC" is the usual way to explain it. If you find any article that says the opposite, please post a link to the article and we can see whether it's simply wrong, or whether it is explaining a capacitor from a different point of view.

I have my own way of explaining what a capacitor does. See https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/thread.248766/#post-1470672. No guarantee that it will help you, but please let me know what you think.

Just a little "real world" example for you.....

On the railroad where block signaling is used, we put DC out on the rails in pulses that code information from one signal to the next. We also put AC on the rails at different frequencies for things like grade crossing warning devices and to simply convey info (e.g. switch position, etc) There is also interference from nearby AC transmission lines.

Because we have so much "noise" out on the rail, we use capacitors (among other things) to filter out everything we don't want on the receive side, bot DC and AC. This way, we can use the rails to effectively transmit multiple signals.