Maker Pro
Maker Pro

capacitor replacement help

Isn't this why they are wax/varnished baked etc?
Yes supposedly and also to ‘tighten’ it all up. The audiofool never thought about the actual speaker vibration though. I can sell you some microphonic signal cancelling cable. It’s only £1000 per meter. How many metres would you require sir?.:)

Martin

Looks ok to me.
It’s picofarads. 106F is 10 million pic farads = 10 μF and F = 1% tolerance.

Martin

thats great thank you, and its same with resistors iv learned, the last letter is the tollorance and the 5w is the wattage, and the 1r0 is the resistance...

Yeah, London. Where all the audiofoolery is made!.
Years ago I used to go to Tottenham Court Rd and Edgeware Rd for all my gear. All gone now!. Made their millions and run.
Kings Rd has a shop now that sells ridiculous gear at ridiculous prices. I laughed and walked out. £1000 per metre lol .

Martin

Yeah, London. Where all the audiofoolery is made!.
Years ago I used to go to Tottenham Court Rd and Edgeware Rd for all my gear. All gone now!. Made their millions and run.
Kings Rd has a shop now that sells ridiculous gear at ridiculous prices. I laughed and walked out. £1000 per metre lol .

Martin

Yes i built my own speaker cable, KableDirect 99.9%OFC 9AWG, twisted pairs , all heat shrunk with glue lined heat shrink and fancy red braiding, teminated with some nice bannana plugs (RHODIUM/GOLD plated BRO!)

Total cost was about £100 - i think beyond this point there is no point... but everone has their own point i guess.

grand a metere probably pocket change to those that buy it... we know if someone wants to buy something more expensive the manufacturer will make those halo products... why not?!

278974711_531360588372484_7226558469953139104_n.jpg

well according to ASR thats not a bad thing . nothings parallel instead they cross, and the crappy cables dont really make ANY measurable difference in short runs...

But do we know how to measure everything. the audio analyzer measure what it measures very well... but it doesnt measure at all what it doesn't meaure...

Is clarity a byproduct of frequency response/amplitude? does a paper driver playing a 1khz sine @ 85dBCSPL @1m sound the same as a aluminum cone in the same exact condition? the level and wave is the same... what else is there?

I dunno, im thinking out loud :)

but on a serious note is measuring these inductors something that someone here could or want to do. i would pay ofcourse for the time.

but on a serious note is measuring these inductors something that someone here could or want to do. i would pay ofcourse for the time.
If you’d like to send them to me, I’ll happily measure them.
But I guarantee each one will be different. Some people who restore vintage equipment spend weeks matching transistors and checking tolerances for matching resistors etc.
A hole batch can vary. It’s not just the component value but the board layout too. Every PCB trace has resistance, capacitance and inductance to a degree.

Martin

I was going to use just a wooden board and directly 10% silver-solder the individual components. no terminals/PCB direct cable to component etc and then heat wrap the solder connections. and zip tie it all down.

Et Al Danny Richie GR Research stylee. the guy seems to know about crossovers. but also a lot of audiophoolery there.

Thats very kind of you and I will take you up on that when I come to replace them in a few months time.

Ill cover postage and PayPal/Cash you whatever you want within reason for doing it. Im sure it will be more accurate than the 30 pound unit, im guessing youve got some gear :)

Thanks Martin,

Mark

Im sure it will be more accurate than the 30 pound unit,
Nope, mine was £7.99:)
The real problem with measuring inductors is that you measure the inductance at a certain frequency. As frequency changes, the inductance does too. It’s not Tom Foolery, it’s audiofoolery.
But if you enjoy it, go for it.

Martin

the dayton DATS3 seems a legit way to measure the inductance over frequency range but its near 200 quid. thats about what i wanted to spend on the crossovers themselves so..

Wonder if i can rent a DATSv3 from somewhere...

legit way
That’s got to be the sale of the century!.
A computer program that measures air within a box without a probe of some design. Can it tell if a bass port is present? Course not. If you have money to burn, my children are hungry, so am I:)

Martin