Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless for floor speakers

I've tried Googling this but I'm obviously not asking the right questions.

I have an old pair of Cerwin Vega RE30 speakers I want to make wirelessly connected to a bluetooth source through the use of project boards.

I want it to be (I think) phone to a BT receiver which will split the signal into L and R channel then BT the independent channel to a local receiver into an amp to power the speaker.

My reasoning behind this is that with my speaker locations I can run and hide the power cord at each speaker a lot easier than running speaker wires. By doing it this way with project boards I'd like to see if I can keep the cost below my other plan of just replacing them with a sound bar and sub in a less desirable location.

Is this a horrible idea? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Harald Kapp

I want it to be (I think) phone to a BT receiver which will split the signal into L and R channel then BT the independent channel to a local receiver into an amp to power the speaker.
Having two BT channels in series may work. All in all you'll have 3 BT channels:
1 channel stereo from phone to receiver.
2 channels mono from receiver to speaker.
I haven't seen such a setup before. It may be possible, but it will imho also be a source of headaches for you, what with different latencies between the channels or interference on the radio side of the transmission.
My reasoning behind this is that with my speaker locations I can run and hide the power cord at each speaker a lot easier than running speaker wires.
Why would that be? Power or audio can be routed over a 2-wire cable, so it makes no difference.
You may also experience connection issues when the BT receiver near the speaker (according to your idea) is behind some material that damps the radio signal considerably,, e.g. "hidden" behind part of the chassis.

My suggestion: use a BT-capable amplifier, or a standard stereo amplifier and a stereo BT module similar to e.g. this one. Place the BT receiver + amplifier such that it has good reception (e.g. behind the dashboard, antenna towards the passenger cabin). Then route the speaker wires from the amplifier to the speakers.

Thanks for the reply Harald,

These are house speakers that are positioned closer to wall outlets than the receiver I had used to power them in the past.

In the last 5-10 years the majority of the music I listen is sourced from my phone. I could go with a BT dongle to the receiver to solve that but then I'm left with the speaker wires I have fought with for the past 20 yrs of living here.

The latency I had questioned and why I asked if this was a horrible idea. In my mind BT is easier to set up if say a guest wants to play something but perhaps I should be looking at WiFi instead.