Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Seven segment display

I want to display the hexadecimal number by using a seven segment display. I used 4 bit up-counter and one hexa-to-seven segment decoder, but this only can count from 0 to F. What if I want to display a sequence of hexadecimal numbers without following the ascending order? Is it need to add some other components like encoder or decoder?

Of course. 4 bit = 0 ... 5 (dec) = 0... F (hex).

This is insufficient information. Please explain in more detail what you want to do.
I want to display the ID number like EEE2596273 using a seven-segment display, the numbers are displayed one by one and each number is displayed for one second

Harald Kapp

• Easiest with a microcontroller that controls the sequence and duration of each single digit display.
  • A counter to address an EPROM which stores the ID number sequentially is also possible, but imho is more effort than a micro.
  • Instead of an EPROM some glue logic (NAND, NOR etc.) can also be used. A good exercise in Boolean Algebra and minimization theory, but a bit cumbersome. Anyhow, this may be what your instructor expects. Freshen up your knowledge of minimization using Karnaugh-Veitch diagrams and get started.

Last edited: