Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacement lathe motor voltage

I am wanting to replace an electric motor on my watch lath and found one which is 220v 0.9amp. would I be able to run this from a 230/240v supply.

Harald Kapp

That should be absolutely possible.

Before 1995 several voltage standards existed in Europe with nominal voltages ranging from 220 V to 240 V. Those were harmonized to a common 230 V with tolerances such that the existing voltage level were still covered by the harmonized standard. In many cases actually nothing changed. Therefore 220 V appliances work under the harmonized standard as well as 240 V appliances.
240 V is a tad less than 10 % overvoltage for a 220 V motor and therefor no issue at all.

Reactions: Ian
That should be absolutely possible.

Before 1995 several voltage standards existed in Europe with nominal voltages ranging from 220 V to 240 V. Those were harmonized to a common 230 V with tolerances such that the existing voltage level were still covered by the harmonized standard. In many cases actually nothing changed. Therefore 220 V appliances work under the harmonized standard as well as 240 V appliances.
240 V is a tad less than 10 % overvoltage for a 220 V motor and therefor no issue at all.
Thank you Harald great stuff.