Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RCU 12v Light Switches for a Aussie expat in Pattaya!

I just want to start by offering apologies for any information that I may represent here incorrectly. Unfortunately I have no electrical experience outside of my questionable common sense.

I'm hoping somebody will be able to help because with my limited knowledge I seem to be coming to a dead end with regards to options and while living in Pattaya has its benefits, electrical experts seem to be eluding me!

So basically what I have (according to me in my limited experience) is dry contact momentary 12 volt light switches that activate a RCU (I will include pictures below). Very similar to the type of setup found in many hotel rooms I believe. I have tested the light switches and am fairly confident that they are 12 volt.

The light switches are about 12 years old and have no backlighting so in the dark they are very difficult to find. There are about 12 in total, with the bulk of the switches being 3 gang, but I also have single and dual switches. They are also housed in the American/Australian-style rectangular boxes a style that does not seem to be supported very strongly in the hotel light switch community!

So what I'm hoping to do.

1. Replace the existing switches with backlit, or failing that a tactile switch.
2. Incorporate some type of smart home integration (for voice activation).

Something like this would have been perfect apart from the fact that it does not seem to fit my situation at all!
https://broadlinkofficial.en.alibab...l?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.12.22fb5a95AfhdGT

I think that my choices are going to be relatively limited and probably expensive. But I'm hoping that somebody here may be able to point me in a direction to help with these perceived problems.

Switch/RCU Pics
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_-wd_Z9xMkGtOtnLtyiY9K9FpCLg9uK5?usp=sharing

Anyway any help is greatly appreciated. :)

There is a LOT more to that system than you realise and my educated guess would be your reference part would be in no way compatible.
If you need to advance, you will need spec sheets and schematics of the system and be prepared to do some hard wiring.

There is a LOT more to that system than you realise and my educated guess would be your reference part would be in no way compatible.
If you need to advance, you will need spec sheets and schematics of the system and be prepared to do some hard wiring.
Hey thanks for your response.

But I can't help but think maybe i have misrepresented my request because all im after here at a starting point is a replacement switch. Which im led to believe is a 12v dry contact momentary switch. The smart component is a feature I would like but not essential.

The example I provided is not at all suitable and was only meant to serve as an example of what I wanted the switch to be able to do in a perfect world.

I realise the whole system is more complex than my example but I am only after the bit that trips (not sure that is the correct term) the relay, which is clearly heard when using the existing switch. Surely I don't need spec sheets and schematics for an on/off switch?

Anyway I hope that better explains what I after.

Fine for that if it only requires a voltage free set of contacts but you will need to determine if it is changeover or momentary action.Also you mentioned lighting up the mech which will require hard wiring mods which is why I asked for specs/schematics to determine voltage level.

Fine for that if it only requires a voltage free set of contacts but you will need to determine if it is changeover or momentary action.Also you mentioned lighting up the mech which will require hard wiring mods which is why I asked for specs/schematics to determine voltage level.

Thanks again
Unfortunately without any expertise here I'm inclined to use wrong terminology and I'm guessing that you're term "lighting up the mech" is related to my term "activate a RCU" but I'm not a 100% sure though I don't think it's important for what I'm trying to achieve.

Anyway I'm led to believe that I have a momentary switch, though this was determined through a Chinese vendor who used the term soft reset I think from memory. I'm not sure if you looked at my pictures but assuming that you did are you able to offer me any instructions to determine which type of switch I have. I think I understand the term momentary switch but a quick search on Google for changeover switch leads me down another rabbit hole of confusion!
EDIT I also do not understand the term voltage for a set of contacts?