Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need some advice about my master's thesis

Hello everyone!

I was looking for a good forum to post my question and this forum seems quite busy, so here I am!

I am a masters student in microelectronics, and after two long and hard working 2 semesters, I am now at my third and final semester where I am required to work on my thesis, which in fact the preliminary report is due on 25th July, and the final report to be delivered on the 15th September.

My subject is operation of CMOS circuits in the weak inversion or sub-threshold. Basically I am do simulate a few CMOS circuits both analog and digital, like a CMOS amplifier, or current source, and an adder for example using Spice.

I am very theoretically minded, and I want to add a whole lot of theory to my thesis, however the theory is not original to myself. My whole point of choosing this subject is to actually learn about this area, so what I've been doing is to study this in depth, and I'd like to add all this theory to my thesis, as well as performing the simulations.

My question is, am I allowed to do this? To add someone else's theory to my thesis as long as I reference it? Would it qualify ? I will add simply copy and paste, but to write my own understanding of it.

Thanks a lot and best wishes to everyone!

Harald Kapp

am I allowed to do this? To add someone else's theory to my thesis as long as I reference it?
Usually that is o.k. if well referenced.
Would it qualify ?
It depends on the ratio of other content to content originally yours. Imho 80 % other content to 20 % own content is probably o,k. The expected ratio may vary depending on most obviously the juror(s) and possibly other rules.
I will add simply copy and paste, but to write my own understanding of it.
It's probably better the other way round: Show your own understanding and use the references to substantiate your words. Direct copy paste is mostly frowned upon.

Generally the instítution where you study should have a guideline on how to prepare a thesis.

the preliminary report is due on 25th July,
Better start early for your next piece. 8 days is not much time for a thesis.

Hi Harald.

Thank you very much for your input!

Oh gosh that was a bad typo by me. I meant to write that I wouldn't simply copy and paste, but write my own understanding! :p

Best wishes to you!