Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need some experienced peoples advice

Sry if this is wrong section but I have a few questions. How can I have a constant 12 volt input source and on the output side it would be a constant 14.4 volt with the ability to handle up to 1000 amps no matter what the load would be . The amps and voltage draw would be constantly changing. So to refresh always a 12volt constant input. That’s increased to a constant 14.4 volt output no matter how much load is put on it . Also it would need to be able to handle up to 1000 amp load that will be constantly changing from minimum to max load rapidly

^ I'd guess this is a rigged car stereo amp, related question, where the 12V is rounded down from battery voltage, and 14.4V is the rated output from a driven alternator. Who knows if the 1000W is even an accurate amp rating if this is the situation.

If it is the situation, the answer is that the amp must have a voltage boost stage in it anyway and you should just accept whatever output it is rated for at 12V input as it will still be plenty, unless this is some sort of field-party/concern in which case, you should start with more than 12V. Keeping current lower is a good thing, especially when the alternatives are having to parallel several massive batteries to support such high current at 12V, versus just putting multiple 12V batteries in series to achieve a higher input voltage that doesn't need boosted as much, doesn't need as much current, and THEN, 14.4V is irrelevant as you are using a different amp designed for the higher DC input voltage instead.

I'm probably completely wrong about the above but, that's my first impression.

Sounds like a lot of figures pulled out of thin air to try to impress.
If it is some sound system , best place to start would be Thailand.
I've seen some serious systems over there that are just plain ridiculous.
Biggest mobile unit was back in 2019 where a large tourist bus was converted. Lower levels were the generators and upper the amps and speaker systems.
Everything within 100 metres moved.......litterally.

How can I have a constant 12 volt input source and on the output side it would be a constant 14.4 volt with the ability to handle up to 1000 amps no matter what the load would be .
Welcome to EP!
You would have to (a) have very deep pockets and (b) buy a DC-to-DC boost converter able to handle something over 14.4kW.
What is your budget for this?

So you want a 14V PSU that can do up to 1000A

what on earth do you want that for ???
Car stereo I am trying to figure out how to eliminate a high output alternator and 6 extra batteries in the back. Has to be away to have 12v in with constant 14.4 volts out and the volt load and amp load will constantly be changing as music is playing . I just used 1000 amp as a staring point , more realist two amplifiers I have will pull about 600 amp at a single moment thank for your reply

Biggest mobile unit was back in 2019 where a large tourist bus was converted. Lower levels were the generators and upper the amps and speaker systems.
what on earth do you want that for ???[/QUOTE]
Car stereo I am trying to figure out how to eliminate a high output alternator and 6 extra batteries in the back. Has to be away to have 12v in with constant 14.4 volts out and the volt load and amp load will constantly be changing as music is playing . I just used 1000 amp as a staring point , more realist two amplifiers I have will pull about 600 amp at a single moment thank for your reply

Welcome to EP!
You would have to (a) have very deep pockets and (b) buy a DC-to-DC boost converter able to handle something over 14.4kW.
What is your budget for this?

So you want a 14V PSU that can do up to 1000A

what on earth do you want that for ???

^ I'd guess this is a rigged car stereo amp, related question, where the 12V is rounded down from battery voltage, and 14.4V is the rated output from a driven alternator. Who knows if the 1000W is even an accurate amp rating if this is the situation.

If it is the situation, the answer is that the amp must have a voltage boost stage in it anyway and you should just accept whatever output it is rated for at 12V input as it will still be plenty, unless this is some sort of field-party/concern in which case, you should start with more than 12V. Keeping current lower is a good thing, especially when the alternatives are having to parallel several massive batteries to support such high current at 12V, versus just putting multiple 12V batteries in series to achieve a higher input voltage that doesn't need boosted as much, doesn't need as much current, and THEN, 14.4V is irrelevant as you are using a different amp designed for the higher DC input voltage instead.

I'm probably completely wrong about the above but, that's my first impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kiss your hearing "goodbye".
Here is a 22" subwoofer rated for 4000W at 2 ohms. It needs a few people to lift it. The peak power is 8000W then the power amp/voltage stepup circuit must be powered from more than 555A at 14.4V.

Attachments

• Jackhammer speaker.png
    Jackhammer speaker.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 2

If you are getting rid of the high output alternator and extra batteries, where is the power going to come from? You absolutely need both to get any decent runtime from a 1000W, never mind 1000A, setup. I mean if the engine is off so you are sitting at 12V. If you only need short duration peak 12V, that is why some use a large capacitor buffer.

Nobody that I'm aware of is trying to boost 12V to 14.4V, pre-amplifier, since as already mentioned, the amp itself necessarily has a voltage boost stage built in. Otherwise consider that even 14.4V into 1 ohm speaker would be < ~200W.

Where are you seeing the specification that these amps draw 600A? I suspect these are faux specs. For starters, what gauge wire does the amp manual state is required? You are probably going to burn the vehicle to the ground. ;)

Last edited: