Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motorcycle Kill Switch Failure Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking this problem over...I have a 1981 XS1100 cruiser that I had no resistor pack for when I got it.
I fixed it all up and it all works.
I had to buy an expensive regulator and found one new just by chance.... wow what a find
I got it running, and it all worked except the kill switch.
The kill switch is a spst thumb switch just like hondas... and I suspected it was bad when I repaired it. I bought a new one, and tossed the old one.
I figured that the resistor pack needed to be installed for the switch to work, found the ohmage specs and got one from the autoparts that wasn't far off, and wired it just like the diagram says.
SHORTS AND NOTES- I do not desire a burned up regulator on this machine...It is a new OEM regulator that I will not be able to replace.
Because this bike was the flagship model of the line of cruisers, it is wired for fairing(large front end wind guard), and the system is basically dependent on proper operation within the factory specs, which are not the same as my custom work. I did a good job, and I think its fairly close.
NOW THE NIT GRITTY!!!! grab something steve...
I remember when I was teen and studying these systems.
I remember a circuit that was a do nothing open circuit(maybe a dead short like a backwards diode) ....basically was a dead terminal until a switch is thrown, then the power flowed through the do nothing circuit and fired a ground fault intterupter of other electronic relay or switch that closed a ground or opened the line and killed the operation of the complete system.

If yamaha used this kind of circuit.... any continuity would indicate a bad pack.... because continuity would indicate a do something circuit and not a do nothing circuit.
Maybe the best way to say this is in a story problem....
The rabbit goes hopping along... finds a hole and jumps down it going where ever the hole goes, and creating more hole that it needs as it goes.
If a hole is plugged by a farmer, the rabbit has to find a different way to go, or create a new hole.
if a hole goes in a circle, and the farmer plugs it, the rabbit can still make a new hole around the plug. Conductivity is based on density, just like a large rock in the rabbits hole.

so what are the chances that all the resistor packs of old motorcycles, were simple terminal do nothing packs, that shorted the mains when the kill switch was thrown?

One other thing I wanted add to this...! steves gonna love this...
My teach said any water and pipe scenarios are reason for failure of the course.
yah ha ha ha!

Now with research I find that switches are installed in the ground circuit, and resistors are installed in power circuits... wow what a guy can learn by studying....
and hey, the two don't connect together on the wiring diagram... so I will tear it apart, change the wiring and start over, carefully checking to make sure I don't ruin my expensive equipment....

Status
Not open for further replies.