Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to create a counter with a vibration sensor

I want to create a counter. The counting is activated by vibration. Here's how I want it to work:
Click a button and an lcd displays the count. Meaning, I want 10 to show on lcd, so I click the button 10 times. 10 will be displayed.

Then, when the Piezo vibration sensor senses vibration the lcd counts up by 1 at each vibration, and when it vibrates 10 times, it will beep, letting you know it counted 10, but if you make it vibrate more it keeps counting

So I guess I need an Arduino connected to battery for power
An LCD display that can display 4 digits
2 buttons
Piezo vibration sensor
Anything else?
Is this even possible

Thank you

I'm wondering what your application is, that requires a piezo element. For single pulse inputs I would think there might be a better way.
What is it that you need a piezo sensor to pick-up a vibration of?
The main reason I question the application for a piezo element sensor,is that I would think you'd have mutiple ripple vibrations after the first one, within the piezo sensor itself?
Maybe the counting circuit wouldn't be sensitive enough to pick-up anyhing except the initial trip-pulse?

New plan. Can't give application for specific reasons. Need a vibration sensor to do the following. There is a vibration, an lcd screen counts 1 with each vibration, so each vibration counts up by one. So 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. Then I need an alarm to go off at a specific increment like each 4 counts

Vibration. LCD displays 1
Vibration. LCD displays 2
Vibration. LCD displays 3 and so on
Vibration. 4. Beep
Vibration. 5
Vibration. 6
Vibration. 7
Vibration. 8. Beep

Then I need a reset button to reset lcd to zero

davenn

one thing you will find on any forum is ...
people hate the " I cant tell you what its for cuz its top secret" blah blah

You are probably going to have problems with triggering as each vibration is made up of many pulses
all would trigger a counting response
IF and this is a big IF the gaps between vibrations were great enough, you may be able to employ some sort of timed latching
so it only triggers once for any given set of vibrations

Dave

Still wondering about the need for piezo sensor. Did you try Gooling for vibration switches (sensors), to see if something else might work in your application.
My first hit was from Electrodragon for their SW-18020P. It sounds to me like it would do what you want, and it's cheap. There are a lot of other types available.
Not knowing your application, we can only make suggestions for you to evaluate. I'm thinking you'd need a pretty good filtering circuit to compensate for piezo trigger of a vibration.