Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How do I figure out what is jamming the RF signal in my garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
the remote control will not work for my garage, my car, and the bedroom above the garage.
I’ve done a lot of troubleshooting and it seems to point to a possible signal jammer.
If I drive my car away from my house.. the remote does work. If I move the bedroom remote to another room.... it works. All remotes work if they are within 1 inch of main unit (except the car,I have to drive away. Can someone offer any expertise?

davenn

the remote control will not work for my garage, my car, and the bedroom above the garage.
I’ve done a lot of troubleshooting and it seems to point to a possible signal jammer.
If I drive my car away from my house.. the remote does work. If I move the bedroom remote to another room.... it works. All remotes work if they are within 1 inch of main unit (except the car,I have to drive away. Can someone offer any expertise?

so it seems a problem with the car
so what make and model ? what year ?
what electronics does it have in it ?
does it make any difference if the ignition is switched on (only) if engine is running?, if car is totally switched off ?

I'm still trying to decipher the issue as described(?)
I'm reading a problem with the remote, then there are multiple remotes, then there's apparently a 'main unit'.
Maybe I'm just dense and missing something, but can you offer a little more clarity about exactly what's wrong?

If it's a remote control for a garage door opener, make sure the antenna wire on the unit is intact and hanging straight down. It's helpful on this forum if you state specific brands and model numbers where possible.

davenn

I'm still trying to decipher the issue as described(?)
I'm reading a problem with the remote, then there are multiple remotes, then there's apparently a 'main unit'.
Maybe I'm just dense and missing something, but can you offer a little more clarity about exactly what's wrong?

yes agreed

there is a severe lack of clarity in the OP

To start eliminating sources of possible interference turn off the power to different rooms and see if that fixes it. It's amazing how much RF garbage some appliances can produce. I had a satellite receiver that put out a very strong signal right at 146.75mHz (ham radio repeater frequency). It wiped out any reception throughout the house...

I may not understand but I think I do. The first test I would make is to move your car away where the remote works. Leave the car take the remote & test it with the car out of the picture (test site). If this works then the car electrics is the problem.

I am an amateur radio operator and in every case I've seen so far as the signal you want gets further away the interference blocks the signal even better. But, if both move away & the signal you want is stronger than the interference then the strongest signal wins over the weaker. So both signals must be moving away as you move the car.

QED the interference is in the car.

Good luck.
Phil/KE3FL

To me it sounds like some parts of your house are shilded. Have you noticed if other rf transmittions go through like cell phone for example or have you tried the remote with new battery or a more powerful one ?

If it was an issue with the remote while just in the vehicle I was going to mention that metallic film window tint sometimes decreases RF transmission... but as others have noted the issue is unclear and OP has not returned in two weeks - maybe they figured it out.

Try turning off one item at a time. First your computer, then your wi-fi unit, your electronic dog collar if you are using one, the tv, the stereo, home burglar system, any test equipment you may be using, a tread mill if you have one, remote controlled lights or fans, and smoke detectors. If that doesn't point to the culprit, disconnect your car battery (all cars) and try again! Note: many electric companies use electric meters that transmit a signal to save them from having to send out a person to read your meter every month.
Is your problem that your opener is not receiving (signal blocked) or remote signal being masked over by another signal? As a last resort, you may be able to change the frequency of you opener and remotes to see if that alleviates your problem. Ed.

davenn

the OP hasn't bothered to return with an update
and everyone is just guessing because of the lack of response from the OP to the questions asked

@BHuber IF you return please PM me if you have more info to add and I will reopen the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.