Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Frankenstein's Components.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Look closely at the left hand of the person feeding the flux-coated welding stick into the weld puddle. How does he not suffer some sort of severe burns with no gloves, unbuttoned long shirt sleeves exposing his forearm to the heat and ultra-violet arc emissions, and probably no eye protection I would venture to guess. But from the looks of it, the welder is having a lot of fun! That often trumps safety concerns, especially in the young. Note also that transformers don't give a fig about a little (or even a lot) of rust. Handy factoid to keep in mind when plundering the dump for hidden treasures.

How does he not suffer some sort of severe burns .

He's only tacking those rings on the pipe which only takes about 2 seconds of sparks flying.
For eye protection he probably just closes his eyes just before striking an arc, then opens after hes done.

I wouldn't want to be around that thing when it starts to rain.

My battery operated nail gun kept faulting out when trying to use it.
It would work a few times and then the drive motor would shut off and the lights would flash indicating a low battery. Very annoying when holding a board up and the darn thing quits.
Battery was fine. I even tried a power supply with high current capacity.
The circuit board was inaccessible and potted under a pressed on flywheel. After a barrage of expletives trying to access it, I decided to bypass the darn control board.

I wired the dc drive motor to the safety switch located at the nailing tip and then directly to the battery.
Then I wired a momentary switch from the battery directly to the firing solenoid.

I fired about 10 nails so far and it works fine.
I was worried it might double fire nails if my trigger switch bounced.

I just need to find a smaller switch to fit inside.
I suppose I could get fancy and make a one shot timer to pulse the solenoid instead of twitching my finger, but good enough for a Frankenstein fix. (thunder roaring)...Its alive!20200519_190745.jpg

Hehe John. Those Ebay battery adaptors work like a charm. I have them on all my older tools.

Martin
It's a genuine DeWalt adapter but yes, they work great.
I can tell the motor rpms are a wee bit higher, but I don't expect any problems running 6v over.

Good eye.

Btw, I hope the D cell batteries in the background doesn't confuse anyone.

Yeah, I knew lol.
My nailers and other tools are 18v so the adapters are perfect. We don’t have the Dewalt ones in the Uk yet. I got mine on Ebay between £9 and £13.
Some of them have a usb outlet on too. Never used it though as I have the genuine one!.

upload_2020-5-20_20-22-30.jpeg

To show my electrician apprentices the danger of fire from, say, car batteries, I would sharpen a half length H pencil at both ends and connect it with crock clips across a 12V car battery or similar, capable of supplying a couple of amps. The pencil would be about 6 to 12 Ω and about 1 or 2 amp would flow resulting in a power dissipation of 12 to 24 watts. The graphite in the pencil would heat up and after 30 seconds or so the paint on the pencil would start bubbling and lovely delicate smoke spirals start to emit from the pencil ends. Then the pencil would issue small flames from the ends, with the wooden body of the pencil finally and dramatically bursting fully into flames and falling off the graphite in two halves, leaving the graphite itself glowing red hot.

My apprentices were happy to accept the dangers from electrocution but not all of them seemed to understand the dangers from low voltage high current until this brought it home to them.

Two things worried me about the demo though. The first being that they would go and show it their friends and burn down their car, house or garage! The other was that the burning paint can be quite toxic and can certainly set an asthmatic off. I would stage the demo outside or in a fume cupboard if I could get hold of one.

UCI in Irvine has a sale on the weekends in the maintenance area of the campus and you never know what they'll have but sometimes it's amazing. Old oscilloscopes, computer parts, appliances, lab equipment, all sorts of tools and machinery, old components that look like Tesla himself had experimented with, a lot of cool stuff.

Title "The Gorcapgoverner"
One of my childhood freinds told me that if someone could invent a device that could detect power, access that power and use it, that they would have a device that could be useful for everything that was electric. Imagine a reading lamp that you take into your living room, it locates the mains, accesses them and lights up!?!? great idea huh! Well I was so intreiged with radios at the time, that I envisioned a device that was completely self powered using adapted radio frequencies as as source power, but my mind went farther than that.... How about a battery that can be charged in less than 2 seconds using RF? I built a device I called the Gorcapgovernor for my freinds Gordon, Bill (who they called Cap or captain) and his brother Dick(who they called Governor). I used an old funnel to create the collector and I built a shunt driven trigger to dump a fullwave antenna freq warp into the funnel.... I got it to work once. My 4" funnel created a 6' ball of anolemnous massing of static that scared most of my hair out... truely. I haven't been interested in radiometery even MRI and CT scanning machines give me the whims something terrible and I shake everytime I have to walk through a metal detector in a store or airport.

I saw one open once. It's just a mem reader. It uses two mains to handle the res. Prob. Really simple pnp configuration. At a glance that is!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
To show my electrician apprentices the danger of fire from, say, car batteries, I would sharpen a half length H pencil at both ends and connect it with crock clips across a 12V car battery or similar, capable of supplying a couple of amps. The pencil would be about 6 to 12 Ω and about 1 or 2 amp would flow resulting in a power dissipation of 12 to 24 watts. The graphite in the pencil would heat up and after 30 seconds or so the paint on the pencil would start bubbling and lovely delicate smoke spirals start to emit from the pencil ends. Then the pencil would issue small flames from the ends, with the wooden body of the pencil finally and dramatically bursting fully into flames and falling off the graphite in two halves, leaving the graphite itself glowing red hot.

My apprentices were happy to accept the dangers from electrocution but not all of them seemed to understand the dangers from low voltage high current until this brought it home to them.

Two things worried me about the demo though. The first being that they would go and show it their friends and burn down their car, house or garage! The other was that the burning paint can be quite toxic and can certainly set an asthmatic off. I would stage the demo outside or in a fume cupboard if I could get hold of one.
I inherited from my grandfather an amazing power transformer with multiple low-voltage taps. I have no idea what its original purpose was, but at the time I was interested in what effect electricity would have on ordinary tap water. IIRC, I was maybe seven or eight years old at the time and living with my grandparents in Tennessee while my mother recovered from tuberculosis at an army hospital in Aurora, Colorado. This was about the same time that the "miracle drug" streptomycin was first used to treat TB patients, but in the year or so it took to kill the tuberculosis bacteria in her lungs, I got to play with electricity as taught by Grandfather, a retired coal mine electrician.

So, to do the water experiments, I needed a pair of electrodes. At first I salvaged carbon rods from discharged dry-cells, but later decided that thinner carbon rods would (somehow) work "better". I had no idea then that what I was attempting to do was called electrolysis, and that it normally requires DC, not AC. And of course I had no test equipment, nada, not even a voltmeter. Still, with the transformer connected to the rods, and the rods inserted into a Mason jar containing water, interesting things happened.

I discovered that the pencil leads I finally used would get red hot when the opposite ends of a pencil (with the wood removed on each end using a pocket knife) were connected to appropriate leads on the transformer. Amazing stuff for a kid my age to discover, but I had no interest in demonstrations for my grandparents or anyone else, mainly because I had no explanati9n of what was going on!

It would be "politically incorrect" for me to suggest that youngsters should try experimenting with water and carbon "leads" electrically separated from their wooden shells if they happen to have a doorbell transformer handy... but I would gladly have let my kids do what I did if any of them ever showed an iota of interest, which they didn't. <sigh>

My oldest son did eventually go to college and became a graduate electrical engineer, but he may have chosen that profession for reasons other than the fact that his father did the same thing. He could just as easily have become a physicist or a mathematician or almost anything involving involving science.

Thanks for the post. It brought back some happy memories.

I came here to find some components to reanimate corpses, and all you guys got are vintage computers. Where is the arcane tech? This thread is making me want to hit some junk yards.

I came here to find some components to reanimate corpses, and all you guys got are vintage computers. Where is the arcane tech? This thread is making me want to hit some junk yards.
Well, a lot of the components we are discussing have the potential to create corpses. Is that any good?
When you find real junkyards, please let us know! They are quickly disappearing.

I was actually thinking about taking an old power supply or two (probably pulling from computers found at the local dump) and modifying them for use as power supplies, I mean it would be basically free, just need a little modification
Not "basically free", but I did buy something like this for an old PC PS.
https://usa.banggood.com/Geekcreit-...-p-1418198.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search
It plugs right into the main connector of a PC PS. Even though the PC PS I use with it does not supply 3.3 volts, the other voltages do work (the difference between an older PS that doesn't supply 3.3 volts and a newer one that does, is a couple of more pins on the end of the connector. This board plugs into either PS.)