Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC > DC converter problems please help!!

alright I got my battery bank set up soldering them now! I'll connect them to the converter and hope the motor will work.

I'll updated you all when im done working on my work!

TakeCare!

Well i made the battery bank containing of 2500mAh DCELL batteries rated each on 1.2 Volts.

What I did was:

Added 4 of them in series = + side to the other batteries - side and continued until all 4 were connected together. Then I measured the rated voltage it was 5.1V/DC so it was higher than the expected voltage which is 4.8V/DC and then I measured the current it was 14.1 Amps!! I was shocked! the capacitance that large? I throughout adding batteries together in series without mixing them would use the main batteries capacitance wish is about 2.5Amps Now the final result of the battery bank of 4 DCELL batteries resulted in about 5.1V/DC And 14.1 Amps of current I measured it countlessly and it was the same. Each DCELL battery had 4.43Amps

I said to my self that can't be true so I used the 4 DCell bank on the converter it didn't work and smoke came out of the circuit indicating high current.... So it must be true!

Now what should I do?

I used a 9 volt battery that had about 9V/DC and 0.681 mA it worked for a short time longer than my 1st try and then it just started to go down.

I calculated everything and still the problems there now I wonder why.....

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
It sounds like you're measuring the current directly across the battery terminals, i.e. applying a short circuit to them. It won't do them a lot of good and will discharge them rapidly.

You measure current by placing the ammeter in series with the load (not across it)

It sounds like you're measuring the current directly across the battery terminals, i.e. applying a short circuit to them. It won't do them a lot of good and will discharge them rapidly.

You measure current by placing the ammeter in series with the load (not across it)

Even if I did not measure the current correctly I tried to connect the bank directly to the converter it didn't work it was hot and there was smoke. What can explain that?

I believe that the current increased and the voltage.

I'll try this out and give you all some feedback.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Even if I did not measure the current correctly I tried to connect the bank directly to the converter it didn't work it was hot and there was smoke. What can explain that?

Connecting it the wrong way around, measuring the current at the output (i.e. shorting the output), probably many other things too.

I believe that the current increased and the voltage.
I'm sure the current did increase. That was kinda the point. You don't say if you had a load attached at the time.

I'll try this out and give you all some feedback.
Smoke is a bad thing. It is quite likely something is damaged beyond repair.

What exactly are you going to try out?

I would have connected the batteries to the regulator and with a very small load (say a 1k resistor) I would have set the output voltage. Then I would have connected the motor. Measuring the input current would also have been something I would have done at both steps to ensure odd things were not happening.

If your input voltage is around 5V and your output is 16V you would be expecting the input current to be more than three times the output current. (edit: a little more. So up to 4 times, certainly not more than 6 times)

Connecting it the wrong way around, measuring the current at the output (i.e. shorting the output), probably many other things too.

I'm sure the current did increase. That was kinda the point. You don't say if you had a load attached at the time.

Smoke is a bad thing. It is quite likely something is damaged beyond repair.

What exactly are you going to try out?

I would have connected the batteries to the regulator and with a very small load (say a 1k resistor) I would have set the output voltage. Then I would have connected the motor. Measuring the input current would also have been something I would have done at both steps to ensure odd things were not happening.

If your input voltage is around 5V and your output is 16V you would be expecting the input current to be more than three times the output current. (edit: a little more. So up to 4 times, certainly not more than 6 times)

Sure could you explain exactly how to measure the current in series.

I'll try to find a correct reading and then report back... So far same current output

Is my connection method correct? I fear I've connected the batteries incorrectly.

I connected them 1st batteries + to the 2nd batteries - terminal and it goes on till all are completely connected.

Im just trying to use the DC converter to work out the motor.

What I've done so far is make the battery bank of 5.1V/DC and 14.3 Amps and I've contacted energizer the battery company and they told me that the correct current is rated at 4.3

The smoke came ouf of the converter as the result of charging it with higher current than it requiers from the batteries. So Im making sure how to measure the current from the battery bank and obviously the current is higher than the Maximum of the converter which is 3 Amps

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
You can't "charge it with higher current than it requires".

It will only draw the current it needs. If it was drawing excessive current it was because something was wrong. i.e. batteries around the wrong way, you measuring the current across the output, or something like that. Possibly you placed the PCB on a surface that shorted it out, maybe you damaged the board earlier, etc., etc.

Just the fact that the batteries *could* supply more current doesn't mean they will.

You need to find out what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

edit (again) you measure the current by placing an ammeter IN SERIES with your load, not in parallel with anything. With the batteries connected to the board and nothing connected to the output you should see a couple (maybe up to a few tens) of mA.

You can't "charge it with higher current than it requires".

It will only draw the current it needs. If it was drawing excessive current it was because something was wrong. i.e. batteries around the wrong way, you measuring the current across the output, or something like that. Possibly you placed the PCB on a surface that shorted it out, maybe you damaged the board earlier, etc., etc.

Just the fact that the batteries *could* supply more current doesn't mean they will.

You need to find out what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

edit (again) you measure the current by placing an ammeter IN SERIES with your load, not in parallel with anything. With the batteries connected to the board and nothing connected to the output you should see a couple (maybe up to a few tens) of mA.

I understood all of that but my question is how can i measure the batteries in series using the ammeter?

after I measure the current i might find whats wrong.

I tested the converter board with another low current battery it worked fine. When connected to the motor at starts all over again.

I'll do a series of checks to find whats wrong but I believe the problem is: I MIGHT HAVE SUPPLIED MORE CURRENT THAT THE MAXIMUM OF THE BORED that is 3 Amps but I will still study and return back with the feedback.

Thanks Steve.

Last edited:
I've tried multiple ways to measure the current correctly but its still the same.

What do you all think the problem is?

Rated current of 1 battery is : 4.3Amps
current rated battery bank of 4 batteries is 14.4 Amps and 5.1V/DC

I'm sure the problem is the that Im supplying more current than the board really needs its MIN is 1 Amp and its MAX is 3 Amps that is the problem I see so far...

And I used other batteries that supply less than 1 amp the converter works for a short time and the voltage drops slower than before. Thats a result from the low current.

I think I'll find for a high voltage battery or supply that has a current rated between 1amp and 3 amps as specified in the converter's specs.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
DO NOT place the ammeter across the batteries.

read this.

You don't need a battery "rated" at some particular current. That's just silly.

DO NOT place the ammeter across the batteries.

read this.

You don't need a battery "rated" at some particular current. That's just silly.

Then why isn't the converter working? I still wonder why it does not work! Is it because the MIN and the MAX requirements of the converter?

I will read and answer this hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
You seem to be within the appropriate voltage ranges. However, once the smoke has come out you can't be sure that the device is working correctly.

Given your current readings I am not certain you haven't inadvertently overloaded it. With the tiny 9V battery you couldn't do much harm. With a lower impedance source you may well have.

Which shows that I have overloaded the converter with high currents.
Need to find a higher voltage rating battery that has a perfect current range...

Moha,

If you come here for advice, it helps if you listen to it. Steve is very knowlegable. What he is telling you is entirely correct and you simply ignore him. If you don't understand, ask for clarification. If you insist on arguing with people who know way more than you do, you might as well just do it on your own and continue to fail. If you really want hellp then listen to what the people here are telling you and try to understand it.

So I will second what Steve has said, you cannot supply too much current to a device if you are running it at the voltage it was designed for. Think of a lamp plugged into the wall in your home. If it has a 100W bulb (in the US) this takes approximately 1 Amp. But the same wall socket can provide 15A for a hair dryer. Why does the light bulb not blow up when you connect it to a 15 Amp supply? When you understand this, then youi can move forward.

The only reason your board did not smoke when you used a smaller battery is becuase it was not able to supply the current the board wanted. Which caused it to drop it's voltage. So the board was not operating at the voltage of the battery, it was operating at a lower voltage.

I addition to the possibilities that Steve has already suggested, I would say that there is another possibility. The motor is trying to draw more current than the converter is designed to provide. This might be because the output voltage you have set is too high. How do you set this voltage?

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Which shows that I have overloaded the converter with high currents.

possibly. Maybe you shorted it out.

Need to find a higher voltage rating battery that has a perfect current range.

How many times do I need to tell you that this is PURE NONSENSE. The current the battery can supply is ONLY an issue if it's too low, OR if you do something stupid.

Feel free to ignore me though. What do I know?

possibly. Maybe you shorted it out.

How many times do I need to tell you that this is PURE NONSENSE. The current the battery can supply is ONLY an issue if it's too low, OR if you do something stupid.

Feel free to ignore me though. What do I know?

Sorry for replaying that way... But I'm just ****ed at this I tried so many times and it still refuses to work properly I understand its a mistake I've caused but sometimes when you plan out for things and it does not happen the way you imagined it you get a bit mad.

Forgive me if I've showen my complete ignorance and foolishness I know you all are my current help of providing the solution.

Im sorry about that.

I'll start it all over again now what should I do? I'll measure the batteries one more time in the way you suggested throughout the link and replay back + I'll test the converter, good thing I have another one as backup.

Moha,

If you come here for advice, it helps if you listen to it. Steve is very knowlegable. What he is telling you is entirely correct and you simply ignore him. If you don't understand, ask for clarification. If you insist on arguing with people who know way more than you do, you might as well just do it on your own and continue to fail. If you really want hellp then listen to what the people here are telling you and try to understand it.

So I will second what Steve has said, you cannot supply too much current to a device if you are running it at the voltage it was designed for. Think of a lamp plugged into the wall in your home. If it has a 100W bulb (in the US) this takes approximately 1 Amp. But the same wall socket can provide 15A for a hair dryer. Why does the light bulb not blow up when you connect it to a 15 Amp supply? When you understand this, then youi can move forward.

The only reason your board did not smoke when you used a smaller battery is becuase it was not able to supply the current the board wanted. Which caused it to drop it's voltage. So the board was not operating at the voltage of the battery, it was operating at a lower voltage.

I addition to the possibilities that Steve has already suggested, I would say that there is another possibility. The motor is trying to draw more current than the converter is designed to provide. This might be because the output voltage you have set is too high. How do you set this voltage?

Bob

Thanks for all of that And I apologize for it too!

So now lets start all over again :)

The voltages I want for the motor to run is 12 to 14V/DC the motor is rated between 2V/DC to 18V/DC.

The input I provide is 5.1V/DC and the current still havent tested it out but will in a few.