Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Comparable Component

Hi again, all. I am trying to source a component I am having a hard time finding the exact numbers/letters on the available replacements. I think I may have found what I believe is the closest one. Can someone take a look at the information I have provided and let me know if I'm close please. This is still a part of another thread, however, I didn't want everyone to get bored reading through it and this one as well. So here goes:

The component I am trying to replace is some sort of power supply chip for other components in a Automotive Delco Radio System containing three components. The Control Head (CH) with the buttons. The Control Data Module (CDM, the central brains of the system) and a cassette/EQ component. The CH and the Cassette/EQ portions plug into the CDM. They derive their power supply from the CDM. The component I am trying to source is most likely the component that sends the power to the peripheral components.

I have two of these systems, with one working. The reason I am confident this component is faulty is because they do not test out the same using a multimeter on the pins of the component. The good one shows differing values with the multi-meter in diode function, while the bad one is not showing anything on several of the pins doing the same test. So my goal is to find a working comparable component.

The bad one has these letters/numbers on it: Top: 014, Middle: M34AK, Bottom: 44222. The good one has these letters/numbers on it: Top: Delco 16144222, Bottom: L88HA344. They are both exactly the same size and are on exactly the same model PCB's and in the same places. I think the numbers on the first one (the bad one) was a derivative of the second component's numbers, since there are several that are very similar: "44222" and "16144222"

I have found the second component (Delco 16144222) after doing a search, however, when I try the PDF for the datasheet, it does not come up. https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/16144222
I have found the description somewhere else (?) of it as being a "solenoid driver." The first one (M34AK) I cannot find at all.

I then found something very similar with "L88HA" on it, which is a partial number of the second good component, on Ebay. You can see it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282717856409
It shows up as an L2750 "Dual Low Drop High Power Operational Amplifier. I found the datasheet for it: https://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/view/22428/STMICROELECTRONICS/L2750.html
This component seems to be available and appears to be the very same in size. Because I don't know exactly what each pin does, I don't know what I am looking for. The "tab" pin and the number 6 pin are connected. I do know that and mine are the same. I'm sure that is probably common for this style component though.

I'm not used to comparing datasheets to applications, so my question is, would the L2750 (L88HA) be the probable replacement component for what I am looking for, which is some kind of power supply for the peripheral components? Most of my confusion comes from the differing descriptions of the components, IE., "Operational Amplifier" and "Solenoid Driver."

I've attached photos of the front and back of the PCB, the component location, and the board with the bad component on it. The good unit is the very same, as far as the boards and the component locations.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• PCB Bottom.jpg
    PCB Bottom.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 5
  • PCB Top.jpg
    PCB Top.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9229.jpg
    IMG_9229.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9204 (1).jpg
    IMG_9204 (1).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 6
Many manufacturers use in-house coding for their parts and some of the numbers you reference will relate to batch numbers, manufacturing dates or 'whatever' the manufacturer deemed useful for their own use.

What part numbers are on the four 'similar' devices attached to the large heatsink at the bottom?

In my experience the package you are looking at is either an amplifier or a stepper motor controller - possibly h-bridge driver like the L298 (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/22437/STMICROELECTRONICS/L298.html)

One way to determine its application is to trace out the pcb tracks to the peripheral components and/or any off-board devices that connect to the IC pins.

Guess work will not cut it! Unless it's a pin-for-pin replacement you won't get a replacement. Try swapping the parts from the kown-good board to see if it works.

Thanks for the reply. The four "similar" devices are the output components for the four speaker outputs and are a completely different number than what I am looking for. A picture is attached. Those components are easily found as they are the same as a TDA7360 Power Amplifier.

I have traced some of the pins on the component I am looking for and they go to the power supply pins of the peripherals. I am sure the one I am looking for is to supply those units with the power they need to function.

I understand that "guess work" is not appropriate. That is why I am doing all I can to limit that guess work. The datasheet for the L2750, along with the component numbers on it (L88HA), are leading me in that direction. I think I will take that chance. If nothing else, I still have a working unit. If not, another learning experience. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9243.jpg
    IMG_9243.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: