Maker Pro
Maker Pro

BK 520B Transistor Tester Help

Hello,

I have aquired and old BK 520B transistor tester with no manual or schematic. It appears to be working for most tests, but without the manual, I have no idea if everything is working as it should. I have noticed that no matter what transistor I test (in or out of circuit) I am not getting the panel meter to show any type of gain reading. The leakage test works, and the "Identify" seems to work, showing Si or Ge type transistors, but the meter never moves. I assume that in order to show the transistor is working properly, there should be some type of gain displayed on the meter.

Anyone have a .pdf manual and schematic for this old beast from the '70's? :)

Thanks for any help I can get!

I have a 520B and use one extensively in the late 70s. A good little tester. The meter does not measure gain, only leakage. After getting a good test with the lever set for the beeps, rotate the knob to leakage. The needle moves and will be in the colored band for the type of transistor (use Identify for that) if OK. Note that leakage may indicate excessive if you are testing in-circuit.

I did not have a manual, but found it on-line. Here is the link:

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/docs/manuals/520B_manual.pdf

Last edited:
I haven't used my B&K 520 B transistor checker for years, it all works except in low power it would identify the leads, now it just beeps in both positions in low or high power, so I don't know which leads are what, has anyone any idea what may be wrong.