Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transistor as a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH, no doubt brother. I'm going to have to back out of this discussion. I think the initial query concerned using a transistor as a switch and how the term saturation entered into the practice of transistor switches. It's been a slice but the subject has veered off to rather trivial threads of unimportant chatter. BUT as I exit I do feel compelled to defend my enormous manhood with an attempt to explain myself. So right or wrong, this will have to be my closing argument related to this particular thread. In an earlier post, I made an off the cuff remark that, had a device been a Darlington pair, then the device would contain two discreet transistor dies and be wired accordingly to satisfy the definition of a Darlington pair. I will still support that statement citing the description that I will assume is contained in the original patent application. What I believe has happened is that a cascaded pair of transistors has merely become common place to be referred to as a Darlington pair, rather they are two separate pieces or etched into a single chip of silicon, for ease of understanding. It is the same situation that leads people to refer to any brand name locking pliers as ViseGrips. Most often an adjustable wrench is called a Cresent wrench. Technically incorrect but generally accepted by the majority. Trivial matters but it appears that upholding one's social credit may become a must do in the changing landscape of everyday life. Looking forward to more chats. M

It is the same situation that leads people to refer to any brand name locking pliers as ViseGrips. Most often an adjustable wrench is called a Cresent wrench. Technically incorrect but generally accepted by the majority. Trivial matters but it appears that upholding one's social credit may become a must do in the changing landscape of everyday life. Looking forward to more chats. M

I think now you're conflating eponyms (Euclidan, Newtonian, Darlington, et al) with trademarks (Visegrip, Xerox, etc,)

I am trying to understand how NPN transistor BC547 work as switch.

Transistor can be three state
Cut off
Threshold
Saturation

I'm trying to understand when the BC457 turns on or off
Hi. I forgot to ask if you received any suitable info or explanations that helped answer your question or understanding of transistor operation.

I think now you're conflating eponyms (Euclidan, Newtonian, Darlington, et al) with trademarks (Visegrip, Xerox, etc,)
You are correct. If I see a pair of adjustable pliers, I may be inclined to refer to them as Channel Locks. Perhaps there is a company named Channel Lock or the company that introduced the adjustable pliers named their creation Channel Locks. So if I refer to an adjustable wrench as a Cresent wrench, I could well be mistaken as the wrench may have been manufactured by tool maker Great Neck. On the other hand, if I were to refer to a socket that will except a screw base type light bulb as an Edison socket, I would be correct in my description. Same would go for the description Darlington pair, Tiffany lamp, etc. Good point.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Gee... where's a Moderator when ya need one? The OP, @champ1, hasn't been seen here since April 26, whereas the original post was made earlier that same day. I won't say this was a "drive by" poster just looking for a quick answer and then moving on... but surely the conversation from all the responders has reached a dead-end by now. Why not close this thread and move on to something really interesting... like maybe an electronic solution to the "COVID Crisis" or the war in Ukraine or world hunger?

Gee... where's a Moderator when ya need one? The OP, @champ1, hasn't been seen here since April 26, whereas the original post was made earlier that same day. I won't say this was a "drive by" poster just looking for a quick answer and then moving on... but surely the conversation from all the responders has reached a dead-end by now. Why not close this thread and move on to something really interesting... like maybe an electronic solution to the "COVID Crisis" or the war in Ukraine or world hunger?
Good idea hevans. This thread did induce considerable conversation for what still appears to be an easily answered question. Perhaps the answer was found elsewhere by the inquisitor. So box it, seal it, toss it in the archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.