Maker Pro
Maker Pro

5 volts 1000 mA from 12 volts

I'm trying to figure out a way to design a simple 5 volt 1000 mA regulator, or at least a way to drop the 12 volt supply down to 5 volts with 1 Amp. I don't have access to IC's or zeners, so I'll have to use voltage dividers to set voltage. And here's the real kicker! I have to make this with a FET. Enhancement/switcher type. But it's good for many amps, and up to 60 volts.
This is a type of contest between a couple of colleagues of mine and I'm setting them up for it. Lol. I just want to make sure I have a realistic design before I dish it out. They don't think it can be done without risks of frying the gadgets plugged into it.
Can anyone help me with this? I'm hoping for a general design that will work on most FETs of this caliber.

The FETs are #1

Power mosfet N channel
6F433439
D30NF
SQM110. 06L

High speed switching mosfet
H7P0601
4. K3
PO 24
P channel

Harald Kapp

I just want to make sure I have a realistic design before I dish it out.
If you want to have a relaistic design, start by showing us your approach. Wouldn'T it be unfair to present another persons's solution as your own to your colleagues?
This is also why I will move this thread to the homework section.

A switcher FET is usually not a good choice for a linear application. You'll have to take great care to operate it within the SOA range.

I don't have access to IC's or zeners
Any diode or bipolar transistors's Base-Emitter junction can work as a reference of sorts.

You will probably end up with the output voltage changing when the ambient temperature changes (even as it warms up) and if the load current changes. You mentioned "simple" then its performance will be horrible. That is why we use an IC or zener.
An inexpensive 7805 IC works well and has 16 transistors and 2 zener diodes in it plus a lot of resistors and one capacitor.

Harald Kapp

Google "discrete MOSFET voltage regulator" for circuit examples. Most if not all will, however, use a zender diode or voltage reference ic. YOu may replace the voltage reference by a bunch of diodes of base-emitter junctions, but you'll have to accept quite some inaccuracy.
For better accuracy you can build a bandgap reference from discrete transistors (Google "discrete bandgap reference"). This will be better than simple diodes but still less accurate than an integrated and trimmed chip.
I won't say it can't be done, on the contrary, but the challenge is a big one.
And don't forget the SOA.

It is possible to do. I had a quick go on my simulator using as suggested by Harald, a DIY band gap reference. The regulator bit was done with a long tailed pair and other bits with an Nmos device as the pass element. I will say no more.