Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v or 60v Inverter. Does it Matter?

Hello! I'm in the middle of a build. It's a lithium battery pack ( aka solar generator). The plans called for 60 volt 2500 watt DC>AC inverter. I accidentally bought a 12 volt. The project also incorporates a 60v > 12v converter for stepping down the battery pack voltage for 12v outlets, cooling fans, etc. Theoretically, the power from the battery would go directly to the inverter, but since my inverter can only handle 12V input and the battery pack is 56V, I'm guessing I could just put the converter between the battery and the inverter?

My question is, are their any advantages/disadvantages to doing it this way? Do I loose anything by stepping down the voltage before the inverter? I could return the 12V inverter and get a 60V version, but is it worth the bother or should I just step down the battery voltage to the needed 12 volts?

Thank you!

Harald Kapp

I'm guessing I could just put the converter between the battery and the inverter?
The disadvantage is that the 12 V inverter will draw 5 times the current a 60 V inverter draws for the same output power. This current needs to be supplied by the step-down converter. This will also incur additional losses in the step-down converter.
I'd swap the 12 V inverter for a 60 V inverter.