Maker Pro
Maker Pro

wifi upgrading question

If a device that comes factory with a 2.4 GHZ wifi card can I upgrade to a 5 GHZ wifi card and it be better or if the wifi speed is limited to the device hardware. I got an xbox one and the 5 GHZ band gets me 80 MBP/S vs. 45 MBP/S on the 2.4. so i was thinking if i got a 5 GHZ card for my xbox 360 would it improve my download/upload speeds. and does this apply to other devices. granted that when i looked this up i only got one wifi card for the 360 which was the model 1400. but since this forum is full of know hows im asking if its a possibility.

If a device that comes factory with a 2.4 GHZ wifi card can I upgrade to a 5 GHZ wifi card and it be better or if the wifi speed is limited to the device hardware. I got an xbox one and the 5 GHZ band gets me 80 MBP/S vs. 45 MBP/S on the 2.4. so i was thinking if i got a 5 GHZ card for my xbox 360 would it improve my download/upload speeds. and does this apply to other devices. granted that when i looked this up i only got one wifi card for the 360 which was the model 1400. but since this forum is full of know hows im asking if its a possibility.
2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz does not directly relate to the throughput you will get. There are more factors at play here.
WiFi can operate on multiple channels at once to increase throughput, and if the signal is weak, it will slow down.

yeah? but there is a considerable difference between the 2.4 and 5 on the xbox one and since i need a new wifi card for my 360 i thought if i got a 5 GHZ card it might work better. I would like to know the factors if you would give them to me or a website (would help me a great deal) google stuff like that gets me nothing. and since you respond crazy fast and know a lot ill add this: there is a dimmer switch right outside my door and when its on i get a poor connection sometimes even lose it altogether. i put my DMM on DC voltage and got .750v when it is on full (the measurement is an air volt test with leads 1/2in apart and 1in from the switch.) is there a way with just knowing that voltage to get an EMI number? (already googled it got nothing.) i just thought it was weird that this is what caused me having internet problems for a month and 3 techs looking att he modem til i finally decided the look for interference.

yeah? but there is a considerable difference between the 2.4 and 5 on the xbox one and since i need a new wifi card for my 360 i thought if i got a 5 GHZ card it might work better. I would like to know the factors if you would give them to me or a website (would help me a great deal) google stuff like that gets me nothing. and since you respond crazy fast and know a lot ill add this: there is a dimmer switch right outside my door and when its on i get a poor connection sometimes even lose it altogether. i put my DMM on DC voltage and got .750v when it is on full (the measurement is an air volt test with leads 1/2in apart and 1in from the switch.) is there a way with just knowing that voltage to get an EMI number? (already googled it got nothing.) i just thought it was weird that this is what caused me having internet problems for a month and 3 techs looking att he modem til i finally decided the look for interference.
Nah. you won't have the right equipment to test for EMI. Dimmers work by very abruptly turning the power on or off partway though each and every cycle of a 60Hs sine wave... this can cause ringing and other nasty EMI which is what you are experiencing.
Ideally, you want a nice strong signal, but please keep in mind that the 2.4 and 5Ghz are simply carrier frequencies and do not denote the actual speeds.

For example :
959i8E4701E5C5B83600

What you need is a wireless card or, in this case most likely a wireless 'Bridge' that supports the protocol and speed you want.
Keep in mind that these speeds can go higher as well, when you use the same product as an Access Point and Router. They sometimes employ non-standard techniques to squeeze out more speed.

If I were you. I'd look for a fast wireless bridge that you can use to 'pick-up' WiFi and send down an Ethernet Cord. Many of them support this function which would give you less compatibility issues than using a USB wireless adaptor or mucking with the internals.