Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Volume Control for Quartz Cuckoo Clock

I just purchased a quartz cuckoo clock, and it's too loud. I tried adding foam, etc. to muffle it a little, but it's not enough. On the outside of the clock there's a small control panel consisting of a reset button, light sensor, and volume switch (the settings are Off/Low/High, but even on Low it's still too loud). On the inside of the clock, the back of the control panel is a small circuit board with two connectors. One of the connectors has red and blue wires, and I know that one is for the light sensor. The other connector has five brown wires, and no markings. I don't know if these wires are the ones I'd need to use in adding a pot volume control, but if they are I still wouldn't know which ones to cut. The brown wires and the red and blue ones plug into the side of the clock movement. The speaker is actually part of a separate unit that sits on top of the cuckoo bird. There are four wires (green/red/white/yellow) that go from the clock movement to the bird/speaker unit. A brown and blue wire connect the clock movement and speaker unit on the other side. Is it possible to add a potentiometer, and how would I go about it? Thanks

The simplest probably would be to connect a pot (say 20-25 ohm) in series with one of the leads going to the speaker (pot connected as a rheostat: one connection to one end of the pot and the other connection to the wiper).

Trace the circuit back from the low volume setting on the switch.
Odds are, it'll lead to a resistor or resistors in a voltage divider arrangement.
Play with values until it gives you the desired results

After posting my original question, I unplugged the connector that goes from the clock movement to the speaker unit, and there was no sound. The sound was restored when I plugged it back in, so that pretty much confirmed the brown and blue wires are where I need to add the potentiometer. Just to clarify, the connector plug is on the clock movement, and the two wires go directly into the side of the speaker unit. I bought a logarithmic pot with three lugs, but I'm unsure how to wire it. I connected an extra wire to lug 1 and the other end to a screw for grounding. I assume the brown wire is for output, so that one needs to connect from the clock movement to lug 2, with the blue wire running from the speaker back to lug 3. This was an expensive clock, and I just want to make sure what to do before cutting the wires. I've tried to find this info on my own, but no luck. Thanks