Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Voltage converter 120V to 220V

Hi,

I want to bring my Yamaha Amplifier with me in Europe, but my Yamaha work only with 120V there is power information : " 120V 400W 60HZ 500VA ".

What kind of voltage converter I need to buy ? 500Watts is enough or I need more ?

Best regards!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
What's the model number of your amplifier?

It may be possible to make changes to the power supply to allow it to operate from 220 VAC. Don't get your hopes up, but if you tell us the model number, we may be able to find out enough to say whether that's possible. We may need to ask you for some photos as well.

Hi kris!

I have the new Yamaha Rx - A 730,

There is the photo :

yamaha1.jpg

Thank you very much!

KrisBlueNZ

That's a pretty impressive amp!

Unfortunately I can't find any technical information on the power supply it uses. Can you open it up and take a couple of photos of what's inside? Especially anything that's connected to the mains input socket.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
The first image is the main power transformer. There is nothing in this image that suggests it can be switched from 120V to 220V. It's also likely to be a very expensive part.

Maybe you can find someone with the European model who is moving to the US and offer to swap? (This is NOT a serious suggestion)

There is a single 270µF 220V reservoir capacitor so it is unlikely that the power supply can be switched to 240V. Those that can be switched have two capacitors in series which can be charged with a bridge rectifier for high voltage or from a voltage doubler for lower voltage.

Even if you get a transformer, there may be trouble going from 60Hz to 50Hz. It would be much better to start again.

KrisBlueNZ

Yes, I agree with Steve and duke37. It doesn't look like there's any way to support 220 VAC. I did say "don't get your hopes up".

I'm surprised to see both a large-ish power transformer and a large-ish switching supply. But neither of them looks like it can be changed to support 220 VAC, and you would need both to be changed over.

Looks like you'll need an external voltage converter.

davenn

go buy yourself a 220V to 120V step down transformer with the power rating that steve suggested ~ 500W
surely they shouldn't be too hard to find

Dave

KrisBlueNZ

That transformer you linked to, Goldsource TC-500W, has a pretty low price for a 500W transformer. I suspect it may not be very good quality. An identical unit is shown at http://videooverseas.com/500-watts-...et-step-up-step-down-voltage-transformer.html as "Simran" brand, model AC-500W. This is not a good sign!

It has some pretty mixed reviews on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource®-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-ST500/product-reviews/B0022QOSDK

I would try a shop that only stocks good quality equipment.

As to whether you need something rated for more than 500W, I don't know. Steve?

So if I want to buy an Goldsource converter, it better to take an 800Watts, considering the quality of the product, the 500Watts risk to break down quickly

I'm afraid that Goldsource is the only option for me, I travel this weekend to europe and I can't order online now,

I must go to retrieve it in the store ... I'll buy the 800watts for safety.

For frequency, there will be no problem for the 60hz -> 50hz ?

Thank's!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Sorry about the late response.

It's a little unusual having a transformer like this rated in Watts. A VA rating more accurately reflects the actual capabilities of the device.

Your amplifier is rated at 400W, but they also state that it is 500VA.

My interpretation of the rating of these "Goldsource" devices is that they are actually VA ratings. Given that you are very unlikely to be running your amplifier at full power for any length of time, a rating of the transformer equal to the maximum the amplifier will draw would be acceptable.

However, all other things being equal, I'd always prefer to have a bit in reserve. If there is any question about these devices (and Kris points to mixed reviews) then the added insurance of going for the higher powered version may be well worth it.

There will be little problem going from 60Hz to 50Hz as presumably your amplifier does not include a clock or anything synchronized to mains frequency.

The transformer in your Yamaha amplifier is likely to run a little hotter as it has a lower reactance at 50Hz than 60Hz, but again, as long as you don't plan on running it at full rated output power for any length of time, the difference should be within the cooling capabilities of the unit. It would be best to ensure that you place it somewhere with plenty of airflow though.

Thank's for you response guys!

I just bought the 800W from Goldsource, I hope that the problem of 60Hz to 50Hz are not going to destroy the Yamaha transformer and the transformer is designed to do automatic conversion between the two frequency, the problem is that only 60hz written on the label :/

KrisBlueNZ

No, the transformer doesn't change the frequency! The amplifier will work with either frequency. But re-read Steve's advice.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
The device you have purchased will not convert frequencies. Keep an eye on the Yamaha amplifier and make sure it doesn't get hot.