Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using a radial cap instead of an axial one - shielding needed?

Hey guys,
I am recapping a tube processor which uses a few 100 uF/25V axial caps. I´d like to use a Panasonic FM radial cap and mount it as seen in the attached picture.

Do you think I have to shield the long leg? What would be the best option? Conductive paint? Shielding shrink tube?

Thanks,
Eno

Attachments

• CAPS-Axial-To-Radial-Intellivoice.jpg
    CAPS-Axial-To-Radial-Intellivoice.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 11

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
These are probably filter capacitors, and no shielding is required. If the capacitors were in the signal path, your best option would be to use the shortest lead length on the higher impedance side and route the lead to the lower impedance side as best you can.

It may be better to keep the leads as close as possible to the board if there's a ground plane. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

An overall shorter lead length could have been obtained by mounting the cap vertically.

Hey Steve, thank you so much for your reply!

I should be able to mount them vertically if that is preferable.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
You will need to be careful if there is anything under the caps that the leads could short to, but you can always slip some insulation over the leads.

Depending on the circuit, I would connect the long lead to the earthy potential. The picture shows the long lead connected to + which may have AC on it.