Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Unequal voltage source in parallel

I did some research on google about connecting unequal power sources together and I need some advice. I have two unequal power sources and I want to connect them in parallel to increase the current but both voltage are not equal. I've read that the higher voltage source would leak towards the lower source causing some kind of internal damage. Would this solution work? Or is there a better one?

Build two SEPIC converters for each power source and boost/buck both supply to the same voltage and then connect them in parallel.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I have two unequal power sources and I want to connect them in parallel to increase the current but both voltage are not equa

This won't work. Even in the best case (with diodes to prevent one supply from trying to "leak into" the other, the higher voltage supply will try to supply all the current and will possibly be damaged.

[/quote]Build two SEPIC converters for each power source and boost/buck both supply to the same voltage and then connect them in parallel.[/QUOTE]

Even with this, you may still have one supply slightly higher than the other, bit it would be closer to a viable solution.

A single supply capable of higher current, or splitting the load so part can be powered from each supply would probably be better.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
If they're isolated from each other, and rated for the same current, you can connect them in series and use a buck converter to convert down to the voltage you want.

You might get some more helpful answers if you describe the situation in more detail. What are the natures and specifications of the sources you have? What requirements does the load have?