Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Track position of flying object with sensor of some kind?

Hi!,

I need to keep track of the position of a blimp flying inside a closed environment, mounted on which there is an Arduino and some other sensors, but can't figure out a solution (I am fairly inexperienced with eletronics).

I have tried to use an accelerometer for this, since, according to some sites, it is possible, even though highly innacurate. I'm using an ADXL320 for the task, but the readings I get from it won't change when i move the it (it does change when I change the IC's inclination relative to the earth's surface, as expected). I think this is because the acceleration on a moving blimp is way too small.

I've also considered a GPS shield for the Arduino, but I don't think that would work since the blimp will be flying in a closed environment.
Also, the blimp is small, so there are severe weight restrictions on the components.

So, what are my options for keeping track of position of a flying object?

Thank you!

davenn

greetings
Welcome to the forums :)

A pretty serious project, definately not for a beginner :)

to track it properly, you are going to have to do that in 3 dimensions. Depending on the size of the blimp, the size of the closed enviro. will determine some of the possibilities. Anything from multiple cameras or multiple ultrasonic transmitters and receivers that have been pre calibrated to determining a position of any object within that space.
Ultrasonics can be used ina "radar' style system. ultrasonics can be used to determine the distance to the object. BUT then that info would have to be combined with the distance measuring from the others ultrasonic units within software to give a 3-dimensional fix in space.
Have I lost you yet ? ;)

Cameras would work on the same principal but doing it visually rather than by sound.
I work with equip that has cameras to fix position within 2 dimensions on a screen
But 3 dimensions adds a whole new complexity.

Honestly, that would be even out of my ability. I'm not a programmer for a start.

if it wasnt enclosed then yes GPS would be ideal

cheers
Dave

Last edited: