Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sleep timer to connect speaker circuit for ipad dock

Hi guys

Have just recently built a project which is a bedside audio and charging unit to charge and play music from both my ipad & iphone interchangeably or at the same time if necessary.

Really pleased with how it works so far, but I realise I've overlooked a couple of features that as a bedside audio system are quite important, so I want to remedy those now!

The first is really easy - it needs some sort of built in lamp. Some white LEDs and a simple on/off switch is fine, probably with a diffused cover to keep it from being harsh. Easy enough.

Next, I need a headphone jack on the front of it. At night when I go to bed and want to listen to music I have to use headphones else it would wake the mrs next to me! Easy enough to add the jack, and a lot of 3.5mm jacks can interrupt the speaker signal when headphones are plugged in. Again, simple enough.

The problem is that doing this would then cut off the speaker audio and defeat the functionality of the alarm going off in the morning (unless the headphones stayed in ear all night, and then I'd likely have a heart attack!).

So what I thought was some means of a control that switches off the connection to the speakers for a set amount of time, then re-enables it after that time was elapsed.

Obviously I need a relay of some sort to switch the connection in/out for the speakers, but not sure how to control it. I know 555 chips are commonly used for timer controls and I have some, but I've no idea what circuit I need to create this.

The intent is that pressing the 'sleep' button before I start playing music would disable the speaker signal, and that I'd have some simple means of setting the time for it to come back on again, like a potentiometer or something.

If anyone can assist in where I can find a suitable circuit or to show a working example or something I'd be grateful, thanks!