Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Seeking inspiration for light sensing circuit

Hi,
New member and first post. Have not built a circuit for more than 40 years so I'm guessing lots has changed. I have an idea for a 'light-sensing' circuit that I need help even beginning to think about. See details below. Really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read it let alone reply. Thanks!

Problem: there exists an artistic process in which a white, clay like material is partially submerged in a solvent bath and the solvent wicks up the material. This is a slow process and must be closely monitored as it is not desirable that the material become fully saturated, that is, once approximately 90% saturated of the material is wetted, it is removed from the solvent bath and dried in an oven. The dry material is bright white and the wet material is, well, wet and less reflective, like a dull gray. The sensing circuit could be placed within a few centimeters and outside of the glass container containing the material and solvent, that is, light would have to pass through a layer of clear glass before reaching the target. Thanks for your time in reading this far. Paul

Not quite sure what constraints you have, or how long "slow" is, but if you have your old smart phone, they make pretty good remote cameras for many purposes.