Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Scratched enamel on automotive alternator wire

I have a used alternator which I need to put into my car which has had a small section of the enamel (about 8mm) scratched off of one of the wires in the winding where it shows through the ventilation gaps in the case.
The alternator has been tested and is working fine.
I'm concerned the exposed section may corrode and/or cause future problems.

Could someone in the know please tell me what I should use to coat this scratched section with to protect it.
I thought maybe a spray of circuit board lacquer, but that is designed for soldering through, so will it survive on a car alternator, or maybe I need to use something more durable?

Also what is normally used by auto electricians to clean all the black muck off old used alternators without doing any harm to it?

Motor varnish used to be used but it's more likely epoxy based these days.
A dab of 5 minute epoxy should suffice.

Clean up used to use Shellite or white spirits.

Varnish, shellac, or urethane spray can be used.

Normally I would dismantle and clean the alternator if really filthy. Also allows checking of brushes to see how much life is left in them. No use fitting the alternator if the brushes are just about worn out.

Motor varnish used to be used but it's more likely epoxy based these days.
A dab of 5 minute epoxy should suffice.

Clean up used to use Shellite or white spirits.

OK, It looks like I can get Shellite from Bunnings Hardware.

Would regular 5 min epoxy handle the temperatures?
It says on the pack "bond strength will reduce above 60 degrees C, but strength is restored when temperature returns to normal."

Varnish, shellac, or urethane spray can be used.

Normally I would dismantle and clean the alternator if really filthy. Also allows checking of brushes to see how much life is left in them. No use fitting the alternator if the brushes are just about worn out.

Agree.
Bit of a long story, but basically the alternator was taken to a (rather incompetent) auto electrical place on Thursday, who rather than repair it, tried to sell me a new alternator for $650.
When I refused their offer, and said I wanted to simply fix the existing one, on Friday they scratched the lacquer on the winding and broke the insulator while removing it from the vehicle.

Need it fixed in a hurry so took it away from them and off to a place many miles away on Friday night where they fixed the fault, (replaced the diodes, and replaced the insulator).
He did put it on his test jig with a motor and showed me it now working.
It was late at night and I was involved in a car accident on the way there, so I was rather stressed and had forgotten to mention the scratched winding to the guy, or the brushes.
Hoping he at least looked at the brushes.

So basically I just need to make sure the wire is well insulated before a mechanic puts it back in the car for me, hopefully on Monday.

I do have some 5 min epoxy as has been suggested, but I'm not sure it can take the heat?
I also have some automotive clear lacquer (top coat), https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...ng=en_AU&vid=JxutVLqA1Uw0WemVEARq+Q==&start=2

or otherwise I could buy some Servisol Circuit Board Lacquer from the Jaycar dealer in town if they have it in stock. https://www.jaycar.com.au/circuit-b...os=1&queryId=e2be0bec2fbfa3c584a99f88c7ee9fe6
Not much else available around here where I live unfortunately.