Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Evolis Tattoo 2 ID card printer, scratched print head

Hey all

I hate to be 'that guy' who joins a forum just to ask a question but I'm running out of options on this one.

At my work we have an evolis tattoo 2 ID card printer, which is a thermal transfer printer. Recently it started leaving blank white lines in the same place on every card we printed. Further investigation found a miniscule (Less than half a mm) scratch on the mettalic thermal print head. Now my presumption is that this scratch is preventing any heat getting to the ribbon and therefore any colour on to the card.

So essentially my question is, is there any prodcut that could fill in such a small scratch? Or is there any other way of me repairing it without shelling out the £500 for a whole new print head?

Attachments

• IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 8,803

davenn

Welcome Mike
tricky, not that I am personally aware of, thermal printer mech's I work on that get damaged like that usually get replaced. And yeah they are an obscene price huh :(

lets see what any of the others say

cheers
Dave

The scratch most likely being on the black stripe (a resistance material) I can't see any way of fixing that. Silver paint might work if it's on the to-leads though.
Each resistance element heats up very quickly to a specific temperature for every pixel to be made so they all need to have the same resistance etc.