Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Safety capacitor for a Singer Sewing Machine

Hi all, old newbie her at electronics and wanting to learn a bit, got directed her looking for a safety capacitor for a Singer Sewing Machine. It has to be 45 years old.
Just fired it up today and gave it a little birthday of oil as it was a bit stiff.
Just got it adjusted correctly and sewing nicely then a horrible buzzing and burning smell.
Sure enough the safety capacitor had burnt out and after searching Farnell and other places got myself sorted with some spares.
There was one in the foot controller which was removed many years ago and it worked fine without it.
As a preliminary question would it be safe to operate without the safety Capacitor?
It is a Singer 514 and the safety capacitor is a PME271M622KR30. 22µF X2 275V

Many thanks

KingWhiskers

Thanks for the welcome.
Parts are now ordered and on their way.
I think the Safety Capacitor is more of a radio/tv suppression item as there was one in the foot controller that burnt out many years ago and was just removed and the machine worked fine without it. I have not used this sewing machine in probably 20 years and just got it lubricated and adjusted and working fine then buzzing and smoke. The original capacitor is a RIFA 271M 0,22µF 250 Volt and a little research sourced the modern day equivalent with better thermal specifications so it will be back to better than original spec when repaired.
I ought to take a photo of it and put it in the failures thread!!
:)