Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Supercapacitor safety

If current is the factor which kills, surely a low voltage supply (under normal conditions, ie, dry skin, non conductive clothing etc) provides no risk of harm? I ask this as I am continuing my capacitor research, namely super capacitors. Here states that the super capacitor due to low ESR can create a spark through shorting the contacts. If the capacitor has a rated limit of 2.5 volts, this is nowhere near enough to drive the miliamps through the body required to kill. I just want to check before proceeding, under what circumstances would even low voltages pose a threat at?

Thanks,

The supercaps are very dangerous !even at very low voltages(2.5V)
The high capacity and extremely low ESR allows for huge currents in short condition.
Never short them!

You probably missed that tread ,make sure you see the video in reply #8 ...scary:eek:

So the danger comes solely from burn hazard and capacitor explosion? Under these two conditions then:

1. The capacitor does not short
and
2. The capacitor does not blow(due to, for example, over voltage charge)

Are there any other dangers whatsoever? I had assumed that the two dangers you mention in your post are dangers associated, however certainly not the extent you described! Thanks for the post.

I have a 400F 2.7v cap charged via a switching reg with it's current limited to 1 amp (1amp 12v psu) i then step up the voltage to 5v, then i limit the current to the 1w LED to supply 350ma

The 400F cap gives about 20 - 30 minutes of light...

Or you could short out a 400F with some wire, melt the wire, burn yourself and maybe even start a fire with one...

However the same can be said for a lithium battery.... so just be careful you'll be ok

Thank you all, this is very helpful. Continuing my research with these factors in mind.

Thanks Supercap for your video pertaining to electrical shock and in turn, supercaps.

Thanks,