Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power supply design

Hi guys

I recently found a pair of 12-0-12 , 5 amp transformers , I have decided to do a power supply with it

Since they are similiar , i want to connect them in series , so that i can have 48v and 5 amps

But the problem is i don't have any design ideas for 48 volts , also i tried searching online , surely i found some designs , but they clearly lack details regarding the component values , working , description etc etc

so if any of you guys know of about any circuit ideas regarding the 48 v power supply , please post it . Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
Could you do something with the LM317 and build a variable voltage supply that would meet many needs instead of just one?

What about a signal generator with a variable amplitude that could spit out sine, square, or sawtooth at various frequencies? I imagine you'd need an oscilloscope to make that really useful, though.

Could you do something with the LM317 and build a variable voltage supply that would meet many needs instead of just one?

What about a signal generator with a variable amplitude that could spit out sine, square, or sawtooth at various frequencies? I imagine you'd need an oscilloscope to make that really useful, though.

Thanks for your reply , but the maximum current lm317 can handle is 1.5 amps , but i require 5 amps , i know i can use lm 338 , but i need a circuit that can handle 48 volts,but it can handle only 32 volts

A function generator is a nice idea , but again i don't know the circuits to build it

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply , but the maximum current lm317 can handle is 1.5 amps , but i require 5 amps , i know i can use lm 338 , but i need a circuit that can handle 48 volts,but it can handle only 32 volts

Wasn't sure if the amps was a requirement, sorry. What about splitting the transformers between two lm338's and combine the output somewhere down the line? Same problem? Can't be done? I'm nuts for even considering it?

A function generator is a nice idea , but again i don't know the circuits to build it

Google is your friend. I'm sure I could find a ton with a quick search.

Well google may be my friend , but still no circuit of the power supply found :D

also splitting power supply into two Lm 317's , will still not give 5 amps , Thanks for the advice though , also am not interested in a building a function generator , simply because it may be a little complex and beyond my ability , also it's a waste of resources since 200+ watts for a function gernerator is a bit of a overkill

Last edited: