Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to design power supply for Xenon lamp

Hi, I want to design power supply of xenon lamp for the part number PE300BFA for that I need schematics if someone can provide me that would be very helpful or suggest me an idea that how can I design power supply thank you

Attachments

• Cermax_Xenon_CEP301_Power_Supply_Family_specifications.pdf
    351.9 KB · Views: 23

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
This is hardly a task for the typical Electronics Point member. Why do you want to design and build a do-it-yourself (DIY) power supply when there are commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) units available that are designed for the PE300BFA lamp? See your attachment.

I once built a power supply for a short-arc xenon lamp while working as an electronics technician for the University of Dayton Research Institute, shortly after being hired there in June 1967. By then I knew a little bit about power supply design, and almost nothing about high-pressure arc lamps. Xenon lamps were popular back then as illumination sources for movie theater projectors projecting large-screen 35mm color film images. The xenon lamp replaced the finicky carbon-arc lamp in commercial movie projectors, allowing for just one operator to service several projectors, mainly by changing film reels as needed. The xenon projector lamps were quite large and dangerous, but the risk of accidental breakage during lamp replacement was considered acceptable to theater management.

Most modern lamps DO NOT have external ignition capability by application of an external high-voltage pulse to a third lamp electrode. Instead, ignition is applied in series with the lamp by means of a low-resistance pulse transformer excited by a separate ignition circuit to create kilovolts of ignition excitation.

The reason for the low-resistance is the operating current for the lamp, which is generally several amperes, must also be carried by the pulse transformer secondary winding. You don't want to have a significant voltage drop in series with the lamp that is caused by high current through the secondary winding. So, finding a suitable pulse transformer and excitation circuit for same should be your first DIY priority.

Next, download this document which describes how to use your PE300BFA xenon lamp. Pay particular attention to Figure 36 on Page 30, which is a schematic of a power supply (including ignition circuits) for this lamp. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Will this research paper work as power supply of Xenon lamp if I can design this for the part number PE300BFA by the way thank you for reply

Attachments

• Research of pulsed Xenon lamp power supply based on.pdf
    935.2 KB · Views: 9

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Nice paper, @Md Yusuf, but does a pulse-based design comply with all the specifications of the particular lamp, PE300BFA, that you mentioned in your original post?. That particular lamp is designed to operate under continuous DC-arc excitation. Pulsed operation may not agree with it.

Okay I can understand what are you saying so I should design the schematics for part number PE300BFA which has been attached please see it. Will this circuit work properly and also I can't control this circuit through microcontroller as in research paper . May I use variable power supply for this part number PE300BFA will it work ??
Thanks for your feedback .
Like this variable power supply
https://shilpent.com/other/74-1417-...atts-350_watts?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=1

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    609.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: