Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Oven heater element.

My oven heater element has just gone tonight. Can some check my maths on what resistance i should measure the element as. Its a 240V 2000W element. I work that to be 26.45Ω. What i actually measure with my Fluke is 38MΩ which just confirms its faulty.

If it's a household stove, take the element into any appliance repair supply store,
and they'll match it up for you.
You can write down the make and model of your oven in case they need it.
But the stores near me can just look at it and know what it is.
95% of the time, it's the heating element itself that went bad.

Power = V*V/R so R=V*V/P
240*240/2000=28.8
Resistance goes up as temperature rises so could be significantly different to this when cold. Would be interesting what the new element measures.

The new element is coming wednesday so i will measure before i put it in. Just wondered how to work it out. Thanks duke37!

Hi there.
I once replaced a pair of Creda oven elements, they kept tripping out the supply at the RCD i was told to burn them in slow then up the power, problem was i had to disconnect earth lead to the cooker to stop tripping out, this was a temporary measure to burn the elements in.

Yes it dangerous to touch the unit while i was doing this, but was the suggested method after burn in i restored the earth lead and there was no more tripping out the supply, in short my supply protection is very sensitive, you probably wont have such problems, but if you do have to burn them in remember the chassis could become live ( hot ) so i would avoid touching it if you have to do it, but like i said you probably wont have to.

Dave. :)

I measured new element today before fitting. It measured 31 ohms straight out of the packet. So the maths wasn't far off the mark.