Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Normal resistors for High Voltage application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely Not something I would recommend and resistance is Not Constant with Voltage Changes.

These High Voltage Resistors are usually Custom made to Specific Values and Normally NOT Sold in Single lot.

So first you need to determine the Voltage rating and the resistance Value you want.
Depending on what you want, I might have a Resistor I could send you for Free, Except for Shipping Cost.

Last edited:
Can you let us know what it is you're attempting to do? Where is this high voltage that you are curious to measure?
The high voltage I'm trying to measure is an estimated 10kv AC from a flyback transformer. I'm using the resisters for a voltage divider so i can see what the voltage actually is. I might just buy a high voltage probe at this point lol
Otherwise, I'll be using it to limit current from said high voltage.

I could supply you with one of those ROX-3, 30 Meg Resistors and a 1/4 Watt 3.0 K Resistor.
Both are Rated at 5 % Tolerance.
By my calculations: With 10 KV in it will be Close to 1 Volt across the 3.0 K, Assuming a High Impedance Volt Meter.
No Charge for the Resistors, Just $8.00 USD for the Shipping cost.
Or a $10.00 Canadian Bill.

davenn

I could supply you with one of those ROX-3, 30 Meg Resistors and a 1/4 Watt 3.0 K Resistor.
Both are Rated at 5 % Tolerance.
By my calculations: With 10 KV in it will be Close to 1 Volt across the 3.0 K, Assuming a High Impedance Volt Meter.
No Charge for the Resistors, Just $8.00 USD for the Shipping cost.
Or a $10.00 Canadian Bill.

and on that good advice, we will close the thread

to the OP @Apocaloptigon , you seem to lack the knowledge to work with ETH voltages safely

For your own safety, PLEASE get a local mentor that can "hands on" guide you through the learning process

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I'll probably just go and buy(/make?) some high voltage resisters rather than deal with all that.
That leads me to another question, are liquid resisters (saltwater in an insulated tube, basically) a good way to contain high voltage (assuming it's long enough)?

I would recommend that you work on low voltage stuff. You clearly don't understand what you're doing and we have no idea what is providing this high voltage. There is certainly the potential that you're trying to measure something that can kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.