Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Make illuminated switch light up dim when off then normal when switched on

Hi Everyone,
i want to add some LED lights into the boot/trunk of my car & have bought the LEDS & Switches to do the job, but could do with a bit more advice, the Switch has a LED Halo light which i want to wire up to the lighting circuit of the car so the Halo lights dimly when switched off and then lights up normally when switched on,
I googled & found an old post in this forum " Resistor on illuminated switch but without dimming the circuit LEDs?? started by thunderbollocks, Jan 16, 2017." but thought it better to start a new thread rather than reply to a 4yr old thread,

switch1-jpg.31456

The above pic was posted by "Pyramid" post 18 on the above Thread, & i think shows how to wire the switch the way i want to & covers most of my questions, but i have a couple that i dont understand
1, what resistors do i need ( tried to search on ebay but really dont understand what im looking for)
2, what diode do i need ( again i looked on ebay but really dont understand what im looking for)
3, as id rather take power from the lighting circuit of the car so there is only power to the new circuit when the lights are on, can this be done without effecting the "bulb check system" of the car ( a Seat Exeo with LED rear lights)

as i dont want to post giant pics from ebay, i will add the item numbers of the switch & leds

SmartSwitch 12V/24V 22mm IP67 Steel LED Illuminated ON/OFF HALO Button Switch
eBay item number: 142394830989

1Pair 18 Mode 20 LED Car Truck Warning Emergency Flashing Lamp Strobe Light
eBay item number: 163972118443

Resistors are shown above as 1K and 10K.
Unless you are using the exact same LEDs then probably require a different value.
Wattage of the resistors would depend on the current draw of the LED.
Diode the same, any old gp diode such as a 4004 would probably be ok , current rating of it is 1A.

as id rather take power from the lighting circuit of the car so there is only power to the new circuit when the lights are on, can this be done without effecting the "bulb check system" of the car ( a Seat Exeo with LED rear lights)

No idea.....

As far as your parts listing, post a link rather than a description on where to go and look.
Link id the chain symbol...... so you go to whatever web page, highlight and copy the address, and then come back and hit the chain link symbol.

Draw a sketch of what you want to do.
One minute it is "Halo" and the next it's "emergency flashers".

Thanks for the reply Bluejets, Sorry if i didnt explain properly, the "Pair of 20 LED Emergency Flashers" are what the "Halo Switch" will be switching on, ive just found that i can "upload files" (pictures) rather than linking weblinks to online albums ( really not used to this sort of thing)
s-l160r.jpg
20200112_021855.jpg
This is the Halo Switch that i have...
Brand: SmartSwitch
Contact Material: Brass
Contact Form: Single Pole, Single Throw (SPST)
IP Rating: IP67
Technical Specifications
Rated Voltages (DC): 6V/12V/24V
Rated Voltages (AC): 100-110V/220-240V
Power Rating: 5A
Mechancal Life: 500,000 Cycles
LED Life: 40,000 Hours

Editing "Pyramids" original schematic ...
Switch3.jpg
The "Load" will be 2 x 20 LED lights, ( can be used as strobes but have 18 different settings cycled by a momentary switch,, will be a constant light not flashing)
White LEDs .jpg
Brand: SUNDELY
Wattage: 60W
Voltage: DC 12V - 24V
Flash Patterns: 18 Mode (With power off memory function)
Material: Aluminum
LED Lamp bead: 20pcs
Power cable length: Approx 68cm
Waterproof grade: IPX-66
Life span: 50000-100000 hours

And as the schematics, say 1k & 10k resistors, but when i type in 1k resistor into ebays search i get confused by all the different types and terms, and dont know whats the right/best type to buy,
1/4W 0.25W Carbon Film Resistor ±5% 1 Ohm to 1K Ohms
1/16W 0402 SMD/SMT Resistors ±1% -Full Range of Values ( 1Ω to 10MΩ )
0.25W 1% Metal Film Resistors 10R, 100R, 1K, 10K, 100K, 1M
Royal Ohm 1k 1% 0.4W Metal Film Resistor MFF04FF1001
Metal Film Resistor 1/2W 0.5W 1% Tolerance 0.1 Ohm to 6.2M Ohm

Ahhh....Ok...so....

1/4w carbon film resistor is the standard old run of the mill resistor.
As your first line of "type to buy" says, the values range from 1 ohm to 1000 ohm (1K)

You will find though that resistors normally come in packs of perhaps a thousand or so and include values from 1 ohm to maybe 1 million ohm.
Best to buy a pack if you intend getting in to electronics.

Now the value of current flow shown in one switch direction will give approximately 10mA.(ON position)
When the switch is in the other position with the 10,000 ohm resistor(10K) it will be approx. 1mA.(OFF osition)
A standard red LED is rated at an operating current of 20mA and has 1.7v drop across it.
At 10mA, you may not even notice the difference between 10mA and 20mA which is why I suspect they chose the former value.
Also, at 10mA, there is approx 0.1W dissipation in the resistor so a 1/4w value is fine.

The diode , as I said, could be a 1A style 1N4004. These usually come in packs also, perhaps 20 or so at a minimum.

The rest looks fine, just no idea what the momentry trigger does but I'm sure you have that under control.
One other thing, I'd be checking with the local DMV or whatever you call your government motor vehicle department.
They may well frown on having strobe lights fitted to vehicle used on the roads over there.

Can this be done without effecting the "bulb check system" of the car?

It's could be a problem if current is much higher than the original circuit.
Even so, it may not even send a fault given the fact that it's only occasionally in the "on" position.

Good advice from bluejets, I would just add to buy a variety pack where you can experiment with different resistor values.

Your led lights already have current limiting resistors built-in so there's no concern about blowing them out by selecting too low a resistance.

Btw, the 20 led beads appear to only have 16.