Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New guy needs help with Matco Maxme parts sourcing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Matco Maxme car scanner that I need to get working. User broke off the battery connector terminal and then damaged the usb port. Unite has no way to power on at this time. My goal is to find the parts and solder them back to the board.

What I need help with is figuring out out what parts i need to replace these items with. They seem like basic components, but being a newb I wouldn't know where to start.

Here are pictures of what I am looking at...

davenn

User broke off the battery connector terminal and then damaged the usb port. Unite has no way to power on at this time. My goal is to find the parts and solder them back to the board.

that's the least of your problems

as Steve suggested, it looks like the unit has got wet. ....it is extremely corroded
circuit tracks are badly damaged both by corrosion as in the second last pic and are totally missing where the connector goes in the last pic

this is pretty close to a "mission impossible" task

Yes I think it externally got some moisture in some of its connections, but the rest of the board does not appear that way. I believe it is salvageable.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Not economical to repair.

But that's never stopped me :)

As long as you're not paying an hourly rate or desperate to have it fixed.

If probably start by removing the USB connector so you can see where the connections are and then try to locate one that looks similar. Presumably you'll be able to test it at this point.

I'd start by thoroughly cleaning the board - water first, then (after drying) alcohol thereafter. Use a scrubbing action (toothbrush - preferably someone else's......) and get as much crud off the board as you can.

Check for track damage and corrosion at 'through-holes'. There certainly looks as if some pads have 'gone' on at least one connector - an additional, potentially 'fatal', issue.

The above process MAY require the removal of more parts to get at all the mess. Leaving ANY mess behind (under integrated circuits for example) is a recipe to failure.

Of course, if parts removal is necessary this adds a different and more complicated process - potentially beyond many DIYers capabilities.

Only when the board is fully 'clean' and tracks checked/repaired can replacement parts be fitted and the system tested. It may be that the original 'mess' caused circuit failure elsewhere in the equipment too.

The board looks to be a modular part of the overall system - is there a replacement module available?

Status
Not open for further replies.