Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to design a module from serial to mobile app.

The current alarm system we sell runs off of GSM which of course costs a monthly bill. I found a WIFI to serial controller which comes with a mobile app to control the serial. Now being that the serial will have 2 way communication this open source mobile app im sure can be modified to trigger an alarm on my phone if one of my motion or door contacts is tripped. The benefit of this would be no monthly bill for GSM and a very CLEAR understanding of the risks "what if your internet was cut during breakin". Many of our customers have asked for something like this and i know what products it will take but no way to program or interface them. The best this is these WIFI to serial controllers is that they can be right next to the key panel of the alarm system without having to run a hard line to the modem/router.

Here is what i think might do the trick
http://en.usr.cn/Wifi-RS232-convert...02.11-bgn-converter-Embedded-WiFi-Module.html

The alarm im trying to get this to work with is a standard china alarm with wireless PIR sensors and door contacts. Here is the model i am trying to interface. http://www.rapidrelays.com/home-security-gsm-alarm-system-with-wireless-touch-panel

I know this is a tricky project but someone with the right knowledge can help with this. I will provide all parts needed which in the end will be yours to keep:) If there is anything else you need please contact me im sure we can work something out.

Thanks!
Adrian

You would need a processor to accept an alarm from the controller and then generate the RS232 data to pass to the Wifi. Then a PC or some ethernet connected device would need to accept the Wifi data and send an SMS or email to your mobile phone.

Thanks, but can you please provide more info as to which processor i will need etc??

You would need a processor to accept an alarm from the controller and then generate the RS232 data to pass to the Wifi. Then a PC or some ethernet connected device would need to accept the Wifi data and send an SMS or email to your mobile phone.

The processor is personal choice really a great many would fulfill this task. Usually it comes down to what the designer is familiar with, I tend to use PICs.