Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help to make a short-distance wireless transmitter

Hello,

First of all, my experience in electronics is pretty limited to automotive electronic repairs.
Now I'm currently working as an industrial Abseiler. We often work in noisy environments also, I'm hearing impaired, so it's hard to have clear communications for emergencies. Therefore I thought of making a wireless transmitter that would allow me and my coworkers to communicate to each other without using voice. I am aware of radios that have a vibration setting for receiving calls, however, in some cases, radios are not always ideal. Therefore, the "communication device" would need the following criterias:
-Short-range transmission (up to 150-200m)
-Have a Vibration and a Light (a bright LED) flashing when receiving a signal
-Be portable enough to wear on a bracelet or a glove (direct contact with the skin will allow the vibration to be felt better than through clothing) It can be a small box with some wires going out to a bracelet if a bracelet is too small for all the electronics
-A simple button to transmit the signal
-A rechargeable battery that should last at least one day

If this is feasible, I would really appreciate your help in giving me a how-to process and a list of things I would need.
Note: I have access to a Jaycar Electronics close to my workplace.

Happy Brainstorming!

Vince.

You might want to look into some over the counter FRS radios, several of them have vibrate notification functions and it would be fairly easy to take one with a built in vibrate function (already doing the hard work of detecting an incoming signal and giving you a logic signal to exploit) remove that vibration module and replace it with a jack, use that jack as an auxiliary port for a custom wired small vibration LED flasher module that could be hand mounted... Basically you would just be relocating the existing vibration module and also putting an LED in parallel (the FRS internal circuit should be able to handle the additional load of a single LED) If you used a self flashing LED, the only other thing you would need is a resistor to limit current to the LED, this would all easily fit in a gutted dollar store wrist watch...

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately some of what you said sounds like another language. Would it be possible for you to dumb it down a little bit more and give a more detailed step-by-step process? By the way, is a FRS radio like a Walkie Talkie? I'm in New Zealand, so where would be the best store to look for these? Jaycar didn't help much.

V.