Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mystery Wiring, Need Help.

Hello everyone. I purchased two 115v 5000 rpm ac/dc unaversal motors from an online source and they came with six wires leading to this board. Can someone please explain this to me and tell me how to wire it to 115v dc. Thank in advance.

20170718_004157.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir Derik Sabel . . . . .

What we CAN'T see is the wiring color connections I can only see a RED and YELLOW.
wire The two wiring options show at the left are the possibilities.
Use an ohmmeter . . . . or visual inspection . . . . to confirm what is what.
Then you check wires connections in reference to those possibilities.
When testing, if you use a series connected Iron, a quick touch of power should reveal
if there is a run action . . . . . .with it no makee . . . . big BANG -BANG..
In case of Boo-Boo . . . .
Armature . . .same- same as brush . . . . . as in B1 B2.

PICK-CHURE. .
Motor wiring.jpg

73's de Edd

davenn

What we CAN'T see is the wiring color connections I can only see a RED and YELLOW.
wire The two wiring options show at the left are the possibilities.
Use an ohmmeter . . . . or visual inspection . . . . to confirm what is what.
Then you check wires connections in reference to those possibilities.
When testing, if you use a series connected Iron, a quick touch of power should reveal
if there is a run action . . . . . .with it no makee . . . . big BANG -BANG..
In case of Boo-Boo . . . .
Armature . . .same- same as brush . . . . . as in B1 B2.

Edd you have shown AC supply ... .NOT DC supply

but . . .BUT . . .BUT . . . BUT BUT BUT . . . . . . I die-rectally qoute him as saying:

" I purchased two 115v 5000 rpm ac/dc unaversal motors " . . . with my only questioning being of the "unaversal " . . .vice universal . . . . .aspect thereof . . . .

Aside :
A spotting of three words of Sir Kellys acronym . . . . Read The _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Manual

Last edited:

davenn

but . . .BUT . . .BUT . . . BUT BUT BUT . . . . . . I die-rectally qoute him as saying:

" I purchased two 115v 5000 rpm ac/dc unaversal motors " . . . with my only questioning being of the "unaversal " . . .vice universal . . . . .aspect thereof . . . .

Aside :
A spotting of three words of Sir Kellys acronym . . . . Read The _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Manual

BUT BUT BUT he wanted it on DC ... not AC connection you stated
as you didn't show the polarities for connection as Kellys eye did state ;)

Can someone please explain this to me and tell me how to wire it to 115v dc.

I am trying to get my head around a Universal motor with both series and shunt field in AC use, generally there is a pair of series field coils, I suspect that the shunt field is when it is used in a DC generator mode. A series motor will not work as effectively as generator.
It really needs a physical examination to determine the nature and position of the two coils shown.
I believe it is constructed to be used in different operations/formats.
M.

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I would try either one of Ed's connection diagrams. To change motor direction, reverse the connections to B1 and B2.

Personally I would rather confirm/check the construction before connecting AC, generally it is plural, Series Coil(s).
M.

I will supply further photographs with clear Imaging of wires, connection points and color after work this evening thank you all very much for your help this far. I know it has become the subject of debate as to what my power supply will be I missed typed when I stated DC I altimate goal is 115 V AC. Sorry for the confusion like I say I know nothing or less than nothing when it comes to electricity.

If they are sold as Universal motors then they should be equally capable on AC or DC.
Was there Any documentation?
M.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
If you purchased this online, a link to the vendor's website could be helpful. And maybe a model number for the motor. It's probably of Chinese manufacture, so never mind trying to find out who made it.

As a footnote, most "Universal" motors use a series-connected field winding, sometimes two of them connected in series-aiding, but with both in series with the armature. Old motor gurus like @Minder are probably wondering why your "Universal" motor has a shunt winding, and whether it really is a shunt winding, or just a mislabeled series winding.

Ed's suggestion to use an electric iron in series with the motor connections for preliminary testing is a good one. It prevents the motor from blowing up if you do something untoward, like applying 115 VAC to the armature terminals, B1 and B2...

My crystal ball had already glowed up and told me that he was wanting to use AC . . . . . PLUS the all empowering
addition of UNIVERSAL, gave the additional Carte Blanc on the two options wiring scheme.

I rapidly used a stock photo for the second photo on the first go around.
This time I carried on the top photo’s scheme and, using both of them, I arranged so that the hookup would reflect using the same numbering picks that Sir Kelly used in referencing.

That has the top schematic agreeing, per-Z-actly, with one of the hook up options.

On the lower schematic, it only requires that one (BLUE) wire be moved in order to get into the other hookup option.

My initial add on of the RED and YELLOW X’s was for you to inspect and see if the two viewable RED and YELLOW wires made short direct connections between their (X) points .

Since I wanted you to see if the manufacturer had already made them.

Consulting the schematics you see that C!-B1 and B2-A2 are static connections and remain the same in both options of operating modes.

Sooooooo basically, now, you need to see if an ohmmeter . . being .used in its low ohms range . . . shows any connectivity being present between :

A!-A2 -----to------B1-B2
Then
B1-B2 -----to------C1-C2
Then
A!-A2 -----to------C1-C2

If those are not connected . . . then the manufacturer left you a blank slate, with you then doing the inter connecting for the two options shown with the schematics.
Motor run direction would be another aspect, if DC operated, just a swap of DC supply polarity applied.
If on AC, it’s just a matter of winding phase reversal.
We just wait and see how your 50/50 odds work out . . . . . .
Further techno aspects available . . .2nd and 3rd points of coverage:

https://www.electrical4u.com/compound-wound-dc-motor-or-dc-compound-motor/

Now, one thing that I would additionally be interested in knowing is the horsie powders, or fraction thereof, and the wattage spec given for the unit.
Also. its intended use / application, as 5000 is revving it up quite a bit, unless it’s just being a fractional hp unit.

HOOK UP . .ILLUSTRATION Parte II . . .Deja vu

Motor_witing_II.png

73's de Edd

. . . .

Last edited: