Maker Pro
Maker Pro

multimeter recomendations

my best best meter dies recently and i using my second meter which to be honest is adequate, i just feel like treating myself to a new meter.
what would you recommend and why?

fluke

But, you really haven't told us anything. So I will elaborate and we'll see if you wish to help yourself. What features are you looking for in a meter? What price are you willing to pay? Are you looking for more features at a reasonable price or just a few features at a higher price/quality meter?

Just a thought: if you don't have an analogue meter, how about adding one of them to your kit? I still have a couple of these (now over 30 years old) which I use about as much as my digital meters (one nearly as old!)
I can't really say that they are better, but I do like them for looking at slowly varying levels - I find it quicker to judge whether changes are linear or exponential watching an analogue display. They also measure DC in the presence of noise better than my digitals (modern digitals often have better filtering of course.) And I think they show transients better: I can see which way the needle flickers, but the digital can easily miss them (1 - 2Hz sampling rate) and tends to look like random numbers if it catches one.
I also like the fact that they always work: my digital meters seem to take perverse delight in needing new batteries at the most inconvenient times (but I guess modern digital meters probably eek their batteries out much longer than my old ones.) And to be fair, the analogue meters need batteries for the resistance function.

And on the downside, analogue Voltmeters draw more current from the circuit than a good digital - mine draw 50uA and 10uA full scale and good digitals need only 0.2uA on 2V range. (Though I came across a cheapish digital meter a few years ago, that drew 500uA at 5V, which IMO is almost useless for anything except testing batteries.)
Digitals are much more robust (I certainly wouldn't carry any analogue meter in the toolbox in the boot of my car as I do with a digital) and much more tolerant of careless use.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Check out the multimeter reviews done by eevblog.

The under $50 review is pretty good. You can get quite a useful meter for a good price if you know where to look.