Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modify chinese high power LED to emit less light/heat?

The light has 4 power settings but they do not say how to change the power setting.
I think those are "types" of chips you can buy. I'm going to buy the 9W and 3W and see. I bet they're the same except for one component which effectively reduces light and heat output. I'll also buy a 220V unit to see how it handles 110V.

In my experience, Chinese 3W LEDs are far more reliable than the more powerful, 9-15W variety as they generally use the same type of heat sink: none.

Harald Kapp

The light has 4 power settings but they do not say how to change the power setting.
Simply select from the selection list when ordering (3 W , 5 W, 7 W or 9 W). These lights are obviously not meant to be adjustable.

Funny observation on the side: The "smart IC" labeled MB10Fthey show on the advertising site is actually only the rectifier.

Might be very similar to this as in pdf.
Number looks like MX2082S
Doubt running a 220v unit on 110 will work.

Attachments

• DN05079-D.PDF
    724.4 KB · Views: 49
Beware. It is a cheap Chinese LED with no datasheet with details about it. Even ebay does not know who makes it.
In my experience the main difference between Chinese and brand name LEDs is the presence or absence of a heat sink.

A Chinese bulb will typically look just like that except the chip is in there with no heat sink. Thus it shouldn't matter for the SMD I hope.

The lifetime rating of the Chinese LEDs is only a little more than 1 year which is a lot less than properly made western LEDs.

They make LEDs in the West???
Yeah, pretty sure the the American ones are "better" because they actually use a heat sink. That's likely why the 3W variety from China are reliable: because the circuit board itself comes closer to being a decent heat sink now that the output is reduced. If you use 6V to power a 12V chip, you actually get a chip that requires no heat sink whatsoever and I bet lasts for years and years as it never gets hot enough to even be uncomfortable to handle.

Light output drops appropriately, obviously, but it's still enough for a night light.