Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Measuring IV Characteristics

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project where I need to analyze the IV characteristics of several diodes to make sure they work properly. I have a vector signal analyzer (HP89410, very old) with two channels, which I am trying to use so far to just get the IV characteristics of a simple LED connected in series to a resistor. The problem is I cannot think of how I can get a current vs voltage plot.

Does anyone have any input on how to get IV characteristics using this vector analyzer or by another method? I would like something more sophisticated than using a voltmeter and an amneter and collecting data manually.

V=IR, very handy formula.
Don't forget that when you are doing measurements with a resistor in series, that you can use the voltage drop across the resistor to determine the current draw across that leg of the circuit. You can either pick a shunt resistor with a value that makes this easier to calculate, or provides you with the scale you are after.

I don't know of a way to get a resistance or current measurement out of an 89410A. The instrument was designed primarily for making noise, burst signal, and phase measurements.
Good luck with the project.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Here is a device for measuring IV characteristics (it's actually a fairly complex version).

Here is a video describing its theory of operation and use.

Googling "Octopus component tester" will give you many more examples.