Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for someone who understands PICaxe programming problems

For simple applications the PICaxe 08M2 processor is a dream. For less than $3 you get plenty of program memory, up to six IO pins, built-in EEPROM, and more. But what I really like is the basic-like language it's programmed in. There's a free Editor that makes writing and debugging easy, with automatic compiling and uploading through a simple USB cable. The only down side I've found is the insane way Windows handles reserving COM ports for USB devices that makes it nearly impossible to simply plug and go. Even if you are sure to use the exact same USB connector your app might not be able to see your hardware at the end of that cable if you've used it for other devices. None of this makes sense to anyone who hasn't experienced it, so that's what I'm looking for.

Harald Kapp

That's a quirk of Windows you'll have to live with. The device manager shows you which COM ports are used.
You may want to try a COM port manager like this ComPortMan to alleviate the issue.

My entry into microcontrollers was a REV ED Chip Factory programmer. Went into Programming Editor, then into PicBasic Pro. I too had issues with com ports until I found Windows XP worked perfectly. I have a dedicated XP machine just for programming.

Many thanks for the replies. I got more useful information from those than I have been able to get from dozens of posts to sophisticated (but useless) forums of various sorts, including the PICaxe RevEd forum. Rev Ed seems to be gradually going out of business. Has anyone else had those thoughts too. I certainly hope not, since they have a virtual monopoly on microprocessors with installed interpreters that are incredibly useful, in my opinion.