Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a countdown relay

I am looking for a relay that will vount down a set number of input pulses (5) then cause its contacts to change state.

It should operate on 12-24 vdc and carry enougb current to operate a small 12 vdc motor.

Any help is appreciated.

Looking to design, with what capabilities available?
or to buy ready made?

Pulses from what?

So pulses turn it on & pulses turn it off. Every five pulses it changes state, on-off-on--off?
It's a divide by five & relay?

Looking to design, with what capabilities available?
or to buy ready made?

Pulses from what?

So pulses turn it on & pulses turn it off. Every five pulses it changes state, on-off-on--off?
It's a divide by five & relay?

Build or buy.
12vdc Pulse from a toggle switch. After the toggle switch is turned on and off 5 times the relay should change state. The contacts will then supply voltage to a 12vdc motor.

Found one example here....just pick which output as this uses the 9th pulse, you need 5 so pin 1 to drive your relay through a transistor or small mosfet.
With the 4000 series they will run on anything from about 5v up to around 15v dc.
Trigger will be your switch but you will probably need a pull up resistor and maybe some switch debounce capacitor.

Look at example "Single Output Sequence and then Stop".....
https://www.homemade-circuits.com/simple-ic-4017-circuits/

Switches tend tpo bonce, not produce clean on to off to on transitions.
Depending on where on the circuit the pulses are coming from, you may need to debounce the input.

Useless Box

Well why didn't you say so in the beginning.
Usual approach there is to use a micro controller, much simpler as there is usually at least a servo, any nunber of switches, and possibly lights and other motors as well.
Micro monitors the switch and does ceratin programmed operations dependant on the switch position AND chooses random actions.

Yeah, I probably should have started with that. I don't have a lot of electronics experience. My background is in Industrial Controls, motors, etc. I was trying to keep it simple. Like me.

I was going to use two small gear motors, (10 RPM) Microswitches for the end of travel, a DPDT toggle switch for the human interface, a small water pump with a time delay off relay and - if I can find one - a laugh noise maker like those in some greeting cards.

if I can find one - a laugh noise maker like those in some greeting cards.
They make those that are having built in mike and being self recording of your voice message / sound effect that you put into it.
LIKE ! . . . . . .that unexpected squirt / S t r e e e e e e e e e e e m of wa-wa !

The closest that I came was a lone box with a single on -off switch with a BOLD lettered warning
label to be
SURE to ALWAYS leave switch in OFF position for its battery conservation, ( which in that day and time frame would have been conventional zinc-carbon "D" cell sizes in a battery pack, then it was purposefully left in its ON position.
Then, a nosy, helpful persons corrective action would set off a
LOUD warbling siren sound fed to a speaker, on bottom side, from an internal 5 W amplifier.
This was a prominent feature at the left front corner of my desk . . . .which, most times was being amiss of me . . .so an informed secretary (of the internal timed mercury switch) would have to quieten things down a bit.

Last edited: