Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a 12v 3.5+A MOSFET

I'm working on a control system for RGB LED strips.

I have the main PWM controller (using a TLC TLC5940) board in the fab, and now that I finally know the specs for the LED strips, I'm starting work on the power board with the mosfets for changing the 5V PWM into 12V.

For reference, these are the strips I have coming: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/391288002028?ru=http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=391288002028&_rdc=1

The seller says that strips run at 14Watts a meter on 12V, which would be 1.16 Amps a meter, also the strips are common anode, so I'll need N-Channel MOSFETS.

I'm looking at running 2-3 meters of these strips off of one "channel" on my board, so I'll need a MOSFET that can switch at least 12V 4.5A (3.5 + 30% safety margin).

What are some affordable N-Channel 12v MOSFETS that can switch at least 4.5 amps (ideally more)? I say "affordable" because I'll need 15 of them (3(r, g and b for each strip)*5), and I'm trying to keep costs fairly low.

Also if you can point me to some good sellers for getting recommended MOSFETs quickly, I'd appreciate it! I have until March 25th to finished this, but I'm going to be out of town from the 17th-24th so I need to finish it before then, and can't afford to wait weeks to get the parts from Ebay :p

EDIT: They can either be SMD or Thru-hole, the smaller the better

EDIT2: I've found the TIP120 as being used for driving RGB LED strips in some circuits, it has a maximum voltage of 60v and a current rating of 5v. Their a good price, but can anyone confirm if there is anything better?

Last edited:
"Put me down for whats behind door # 3"

I guess that Canada does not receive "The Price is Right" TV program . . . .or you have just never watched it.

My choice is referenced, . . . a la the given URL addee . . . . particularly liking the low level gate drive required and a decent Rds on spec . . . related to efficient power switching

73's de Edd .

"Put me down for whats behind door # 3"

I guess that Canada does not receive "The Price is Right" TV program . . . .or you have just never watched it.

My choice is referenced, . . . a la the given URL addee . . . . particularly liking the low level gate drive required and a decent Rds on spec . . . related to efficient power switching

73's de Edd .

Ah, I see now :) No, I have never seen it :p

Sir Alec . . .

" Why 'soitanly" . . . . a . .la . . .Curley . . . . .looks like one can usually decrypt from within the long string of "gibberish" being within an URL root addee . . .and in doing so, we come up with the specifically directed, right to their stock bin, info as being:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=PSMN022-30PL

Initially, with our then taking note of its 30 Vds spec , then that efficient and low 22milliohm Rds conductivity, then the deal sealing, "Logic Level gate" sensitivity. . . .along with a 41 watt power spec.

Now thats being an 88 cent bargain.. . . .pending that you don't have to upgrade in order to find a needed higher Vds spec.

73's de Edd

Last edited:
Mine too . . .for all of their IRF 500-600-700-800 series BUT that was being back in 1990, improvements have certainly changed the performance / price ratios.
Noting my last qualifier.
The 510 is $ 1.37 and the mentioned PSMN022-30PL is .88.

73's de Edd